What does not reef safe mean?

Pwentzler101589

I have a 55 gallon tank that has been up and running for about 3 months now. I only have 1 clown fish and a cleaner shrimp. I want to add a Niger Trigger but I also eventually want to have a pretty respectable reef tank. I understand Niger Triggers and reef tanks do not go hand in hand. What does that mean? Can I not get a certain kind of coral or pretty much everything is off limits?

chipmunkofdoom2

Usually it means the fish will eat corals or inverts like your CUC. It is not safe to assume the fish will only eat one type of coral. While traditionally a species might eat one type only, the individual fish is very unpredictable. I'd recommend staying away from the trigger. They can be nasty, messy, and IMO I don't think it would go well in a reef.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
In addition to CoD's comments your tank isn't large enough in several respects:

A) That fish gets BIG " Max. Size: 1' "
The Niger Triggerfish requires a 70 gallon or larger aquarium with rocks and caves for hiding, and may rearrange the landscaping and rocks. It vocalizes using a "grunting" sound. They are a great active fish for the more aggressive, fish-only display.
B) It carries a hefty Bio-Load with it which could easily overload a 55g system
C) and it eats coral AND your clean up crew
The Niger Triggerfish needs a varied diet of meaty foods including; squid, krill, clams, small fish and hard shelled shrimp to help wear down their ever growing teeth.

DaveK

That's unfortunate to hear. They're so cool. Not cooler than corals though.

That is one of the key things everyone needs to learn about reef systems, To keep the corals and other inverts, you give up being able to keep other livestock, like many fish.

Of course you can always set up a 2nd tank (smile)

Tru2nr

i agree with you on the triggers i absolutely love them but there is no way i would risk it in a tank because that cleaner shrimp will be gone almost instantly not to mention they get big

michael_cb_125

Not all triggers will eat coral and inverts. The triggers in the Genus Xanthichthys are as reef safe as any fish. These triggers are planktovores and feed from the water column. This is evident when looking at the upturned mouth that all of these triggers have. The upturned mouth makes it easy for these fish to pick plankton and free floating algae from the water column, while making it very difficult for these fish to scrape or rip "food" from the substrate.

While these fish are very "reef-safe" they unfortunately get too large for any tank under 100 gallons.

~Michael

BTW WELCOME TO RS!!!

Nowellsy SNR

Not all triggers will eat coral and inverts. The triggers in the Genus Xanthichthys are as reef safe as any fish. These triggers are planktovores and feed from the water column. This is evident when looking at the upturned mouth that all of these triggers have. The upturned mouth makes it easy for these fish to pick plankton and free floating algae from the water column, while making it very difficult for these fish to scrape or rip "food" from the substrate.

While these fish are very "reef-safe" they unfortunately get too large for any tank under 100 gallons.

~Michael

BTW WELCOME TO RS!!!
Cool info Michael wondered why i've never seen my Trigger eating of the substrate