What do zoa's like to eat?

SeaLover

Hello all. I was wondering... I have some orange bam bam's and some sunflower looking zoa's. And also leprechaun eye zoa's. Is there anything yall think they should be eating? Or is the light their source of food? Any input or advice would be wonderful. Thanks!:rainbow:

SeaLover

Ok thats what I was kinda figuring. But I just wanted to make sure. I have 2 150 watt metal halides. Do you think they like to be closer or further away from the light.

redsea reefer

Ok thats what I was kinda figuring. But I just wanted to make sure. I have 2 150 watt metal halides. Do you think they like to be closer or further away from the light.

I would start them out around the middle of the tank. If you see their tube or stock elongated, that means they are stretching out for more light. If that happens then you could move them up a little more and see how they react.

lcstorc

Generally zoas are lower light corals so I would start them a bit lower under the 250w halides or they could get burned. You can always move them up if needed.
I have seen them close up around small food but I don't consider feeding required for these guys.

Sapphire

Hi,

I don't feed mine, but as has already been said, they will close around small pieces of food if they can get it.

Last edited:
I just recently started spraying mine with a little phyto too see if there was any type of difference in growth? We will see what happens!

cbrownfish

Phyto is algae, it is unlikely to provide any benefit for Zoanthids. Some zoanthids, primarily palythoa IME, show a feeding response when food lands on them. Zoanthids are primarily photosynthetic, so save your food and don't add excess organics/nutrients to the water column.