What do you keep your pH at?

aquaman3680

Hey all,

I have recently raised my pH to 8.35 and noticed a huge jump in the growth of the corals. Just wondering what you all keep your pH at?

If you keep it low or high post how the corals are affected.

Matt

msbdiving

8.3 during the day. I have never tested it at night to see what it drops down to. I am planning on getting a sump/fuge with a light to help balance things out some.

framerguy

mine ranges from 7.95 at night to 8.2 during the day. My corals seem to be thriving in that range. The growth rate is slow for some (GSP) and fast for others (Montipora). How did you raise your PH? What is your swing?

aquaman3680

I use a calcium reactor with a kalk dosing system, that is on a pH controller. It comes on at 8.2 and goes off at 8.35 but with the halides on it will get up to 8.4 during the day and hovers around 8.25 at night. Not too much of a swing. All of my SPS and zoas are growing real fast!

framerguy

Those are good numbers. I've got a calc reactor sitting without a pump right now. I'd like to get it running again. When you say Kalk dosing system, what do you mean? Does it dose with the ATO system?

aquaman3680

No, I have kalk sitting in a 7 gallon oceanic bucket with a tom's aqua lifter that pulls it out of the bucket with a valve to throttle it down to a drip. It is the aqua lifter that is controlled by my pH controller.

Matt

kimoy

I use a calcium reactor with a kalk dosing system, that is on a pH controller. It comes on at 8.2 and goes off at 8.35 but with the halides on it will get up to 8.4 during the day and hovers around 8.25 at night. Not too much of a swing. All of my SPS and zoas are growing real fast!

just wondering where is your pH controller probe located at? are you measuring the pH of the tank water or the effluent of your reactor?

aquaman3680

my pH controller is in my Reef Keeper 2, I have the probe in my sump, which measures the pH of the tank. I don't have a probe inside the CA reactor yet.

JWarren

Mine runs 8.3 at night and 8.4 +-.05 during the day. I dose Kalkwasser on an IV drip at night. 1000ml per day. Maintains CA at 390 in the 55gal.

prow

mine has been running lower than normal, geussing due to winter, less day light, heater usage, windows closed most of time, stuff like that. lately its been 7.95+8.2ish. i use a Ca+reactor and kalk reactor with controller. normally its 8.2-8.4. the corals are actually growing faster as of late, but i do not attribute that to the change in ph.

JWarren

Yep mine too. The kalk keeps mine all buffered out. So, I don't have to worry about it. Nice and stable.

Frankie

RS STAFF
I have no idea. I have not tested my water in weeks. I look at my corals, they look back all happy :) My ca++ reactor is at 6.5 now. I will test this weekend and post the results.

JWarren

Even after moving my tank 35 miles, mine still hovers around 8.3 and drops to 8.1 with lights out.