what bulb for my fuge?

nightfire76

hey guys i had tons of chaeto in my tiny fuge and now its almost all dead, there a much smaller ball left, so small it floats to the top of the water or maybe it dose that for some other reason,anyway maybe the reason is because i had the wrong kind of bulb in there,what kind can i use in there, i like to just go to walmart and get one from their bulb isle so which is good?
thanks guys

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I use a "Sunlight" spectrum "Curly Que" bulb and mine grows great!! The more yellow the better.

Uslanja

Hi nightfire76! On our fuge we have a screw in base canopy that takes two bulbs. We use two 10 watt screw in Coralife 50/50 bulbs. We have discovered through trial and error that for us, these bulbs allow our cheato to grow dark green and very thick. We have also noticed that problem algae in our fuge is greatly reduced under these bulbs. We tried others, but these ones work for us in our setup.

ALreefer

I use a 6500k 65 watt equivalent florescent flood lamp and it works great. I went to Lowes and got a cheap clamp on work light and put that bulb in it.

nightfire76

i may have to go to lowes cause i dont see the bulbs at walmart state if they are 6500k or what have ya.....maybe im not looking at em right lol but ill try the sunlight bulbs too

gavinol

Has been struck by the ban stick
I use a 2x watt 6500k daylight screw in CF bulb in a clamp on light fixture 24/7 over my sump. Works well!

******* Advertisement Links REMOVED******
BigAl07

Last edited by a moderator:

crespeto

I just have a 60w CF bulb, and mine seems to be doing okay. But I also bought one of the suregrow kind of bulbs that I may be putting in once I figure out how to get a good roll going on the cheato ball. Sorry to hears your died off, but from what I understand that is good for its growth. It has been suggested to prune pretty often and to pull the tight ball apart some because it grows better from the broken ends. Don't know how right this is but at least for the last few weeks I've had the tank up it seems to be growing just fine.