what a mistake?$

I'm setting up my RSM and using my free RED SEA pro salt this crap doesn't dissolve for nothing. been here for quite a while with the power heads on. I guess you get what you pay for##
I have been using Tropic Marin for a few years and that dissolves right away, not like this stuff. might have to drop my kitchen aid power mixer in the tank to get things movin...
whats the hells in this Morton's Iodized salt mix!

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
I have read a lot of good post about Tropic Marin salt, but then I have seen lots who seem to love the Red Sea Coral Reef Salt too...

I use Seachem Reef Salt, because that what my lfs uses & I buy my water from lsf...

Dweezil

Rick ~ I had the same problem with the stuff that came "free" with the tank. However, Once I used most of that up I bought a bucket of Res Sea Coral Pro and it was like night and day. Disolved right away. I think there are 2 different versions there seems to be Red Sea salt and Red Sea Coral Pro. I use the Coral pro with no problems.

cabolick

My salt that came in the kit was just a lump when I first got it. I broke off enough to get started about 3 weeks ago. Then on a slow night last week it got a cold beer and a ice pick and went to work on the rest of the lump. I got it all broke up with no lumps and put it in an air tight container. I had thought about getting a hand full of rice and putting it in a mesh bag to put in the container. That should help keep some of the moisture out, just haven't done it yet.

Chris B

well it's been 4 hours and this coral pro salt doesn't disolve, what crap is this.
I'll check it in the am if by then its still the same I'm draining the tank and throwing out that crap salt mix.

I also use seachem reefsalt and have no problems mixing or dissolving, other than potassim levels are low in this salt mix, but thats easily fixed

redseareef

RS Sponsor
Rick,
I have used RedSea salt and have had great results with it. It may have just hardened up in the bag from moisture getting into it. If I remember correctly I broke mine up and used it all with no problems.
Is it just leaving a white layer at the bottom of your container?

Yeah its leaving a white layer on the bottom as well as lots of free floating particles- it's pissing me off I'm ready to drain it and restart if it doesn't clear up by tomorrow.

Oakhouse

Had no problems with it either, came in the starter pack, was dry, still got some in the cupboard. It did take a few hours to dissolve fully, with the pumps running. Water was perfectly clear within the few hours.

proenca

only one explanation : the salt bucket was quite old.

remember tha LFS buy that thing all together (tanks + starter packs ) and if the tank is 6-7-8-9 months old, means that the salt is standing for that period as well.

I've used the following brands in my other tanks :

Istant Ocean
Reef Crystals
Tropic Marin
Red Sea Coral PRO
Red Sea Normal

RS normal is yucky... IO and RC dissolves well but I prefer RS PRO salt : dissolves faster and seems to have parameters more stablized and up a bit.

Heck, check my tank pics : I dont use a single additive apart from 10% water changes. And everything is super.

redseareef

RS Sponsor
Rick,
Much of the white stuff you see is more then likely calcium. If the water you used had a really high calcium level to begin with, the calcium in the salt will not be able to dissolve completely. one water becomes saturated with calcium, that's it! No more can dissolve! It will not adversely effect a thing, and more then likely dissolve once added to the tank.
Make sure your temp is up to range too. Cold water will of course not let the salt mix up or dissolve as easily as well.
I just opened up a new bucket of RedSea Pro salt and it dissolves with no problems at all. I like to mix the dry salt in the bucket before using. It does pack and settle in shipping. Mine dissolved well! Even in cold water.....

Blurp

No problems with RSCPRO either. Your bucket must de aged... I'd blame your LFS instead of RS...

Thanks everybody- well heres my solution the RS Pro salt that came with my RSM was a old brick , went in the garbage today- I wouldnt salt my pretzel with it. I drained the tank and refilled using Tropic Marin end of story it dissolved in 2 minutes No wonder why Iv'e been using it for years. I only used the RS Pro salt because it was free and came with my tank.
24 hours later a major part of it was still undissolved.
I guess I should have known when it came as a solid brick!
I'll send pics when Its set up.

How cold is your water when you're mixing? I always throw a heater in when I mix. Disolves much faster when the water is warm!