Way to much calcium

Shagon

I used my home test kit this morning and came up with a 570. So I took it to my LFS and he tested the same. My alk test is at about 6.4

My nems are looking a little sick looking. But other than that everything is happy

What do I do to lower that calcium?

BigJay

water changes and whatever your dosing, stop dosing it. water changes should just be your normal rate of change about 10% a week.

Shagon

I haven't been dosing. I can only assume that my coral life salt I have been using has a high calcium content. I did some reading and found that if I do small dosing of a Kalk additives, that should lower my calcium as my Kalk comes up.

BigJay

mix some salt and test it. I've never seen a salt batch with calcium anywhere near 600 PPM if that's the case the salt should be returned. What test are you and your LFS using to test the calcium?
ALk magnesium and calcium are all interconnected. Adjusting one always effects the other. I assume your saying your ALK is about 2.3 Meq/L which means your just under the window on the low side and would not cause a calcium reading of 570.

DBrinson

Are you using RO water? Or tap water?

I used to have a huge problem with calcium in my tap water.

My water company had a lime reactor just upstream of me, and I was at the end of a long pipe run with no branches, so my faucets all clogged up periodically with precipitated calcium. (It was pretty rough on my RO membranes too)

After a year of dealing with this, I contacted my water company and they investigated my problem, discovered the above information, and addressed it in a matter of a few days.

lkbart

I haven't been dosing. I can only assume that my coral life salt I have been using has a high calcium content. I did some reading and found that if I do small dosing of a Kalk additives, that should lower my calcium as my Kalk comes up.

Kalk (short for kalkwasser aka limewater) is calcium hydroxide. Hopefully you meant alk (alkalinity) additives, like buffer, washing soda, etc. If you did mean kalk, that will just increase your already high calcium. Here's a few links on calcium & alkalinity:
Kalkwasser
Calcium and Alkalinity by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com
Chemistry and the Aquarium

BigJay

Are you using RO water? Or tap water?

I used to have a huge problem with calcium in my tap water.

My water company had a lime reactor just upstream of me, and I was at the end of a long pipe run with no branches, so my faucets all clogged up periodically with precipitated calcium. (It was pretty rough on my RO membranes too)

After a year of dealing with this, I contacted my water company and they investigated my problem, discovered the above information, and addressed it in a matter of a few days.

great info :thumbup:

PIMPALA

Mark... I tried to tell ya to stop topping off with tap water.

I dont care how long it sits there, or how much of that stability junk you put in it, its still tap water. for 50 cents a gallon down the street, just go get 5G of RO/DI from Travis, and use it as you need it.