water changes

dltt

Well it seems to be the consensus that a protien skimmer for a 10 g nano is not worth the effort. Everyone I have talked to says to do any where from 10% to 50% weekly water change. Fifty percent seems rather excessive to me, but I still have rudimentary knowledge of this hobby. So, I was wondering what people here at RS thought. Thanks millions!

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
simple.. % of waterchange = degree of pollution as first need, if pollution is not present a 10 to 15% change is standard, with that said, its all about what the tanks needs are and how well your maintenance is done, Anthony Calfo describes a reef tank as a "slide into acidic conditions" all waste products produced by everything alive and the food you add creates acid, acid lowers ph and down the slide you go, water changes remove the acid, simple.

catran

+1 ^. I did a 2g change on my 15g every week. If I missed one week, I would get an algae bloom. I started doing 3g changes and never missed a week again and all was well. Small tanks are very unforgiving.