Waste Water Thoughts?

Stevenmi

I have been Thinking about ways to better utilize the "waste water" from my ro/di unit. I just cant stand the thought that I am flushing 150 gallons of water a week down the drain and paying for it(FYI..In most areas 65-70% of the bill is disposal of the water that goes down the drain).

To compound the issue I learned that this is not based on what actually goes down the drain...but is completely derived from what is released to the house from the meter.

So I did some research and learned that for about $120 A year, I can have a second meter put in for things like watering the lawn/garden that does not include this disposal fee on a per gallon basis.

My second thought/or in conjunction with here is getting a large water storage tank (+300 gallons) that I can feed from the output of the ro/di unit, pipe and use for things like laundry, dishwashing, toilets, and perhaps showering(dunno about this one yet).

Any thoughts would be great!!..

Steve

makes a lot of sense. save money, help the environment. the storage tank will cost quite abit, but will pay for itself over time. i live in an area with wells, and septic systems- so i donot pay for my disposal, but may do like you and save my ro water, if for nothing more than carwash or lawn sprinkling.

Boomer

Reef Sanctuary's Mr. Wizard
This is also a new subject on this. There are many that are starting to run the waste water back through a second RO. You can also lower your rejection rates down to less thatn 2:1. You can contact Jim (Fahz) here and he can help you if you like.

http://www.thefilterguys.biz/index.htm

So I did some research and learned that for about $120 A year, I can have a second meter put in for things like watering the lawn/garden that does not include this disposal fee on a per gallon basis.

Yes some will do that.

ater storage tank (+300 gallons)

No reason that won't work just need a pump for it.

burning2nd

crazy thought,

300+ gallon tank.

old (clean) Oil tank next to house, full from RoDi waste, + pressure pump 30/50= what ever you want

grass dishwasher. The initial setup will hurt the $$ but the end result will be 0 waste water.

reefjitsu

Look up graywater (greywater) and rain collection techniques, you may be able to borrow some ideas/technology/methodology.

Witfull

do both~

seperate meter and collect.

in my case, i have a well, so water costs the elec to pump it, and my waste water from RO runs out a pipe outside into to lawn. so,,,i dont have to worry, its recycling.

Stevenmi

Thanks,

Witt...any issues with that discharge water freezing in the winter?

Boomer/reefjitsu...thanks for the tips

Steve

Witfull

Witt...any issues with that discharge water freezing in the winter?
havent had a problem with it, its such a small amount of waterat a slow flow, and at appx room temp, it just soaks into the ground before any freezing.

BoomerD

RO waste water is GREAT for hard-water loving freshwater species like African cichlids. It's well filtered, so they are essentially just getting water that is higher in TDS. MOST of the pollutants are filtered by the sediment and carbon filters. I'd recommend a 2nd carbon filter after the membrane in the waste line if you use it for that, but otherwise, it's still cleaner than tap water.