Wanting to change tanks

pjb9166

Hey guys and gals.

Quick question. I have my reef setup in a 30 gal Hex now but would like to move everything to a 29 gal tank.
Can I just move sand bed on up over to the other tank?
Is it that easy? What problems might I face?
I would like to move sand bed, live rock, corals, water, fish everything. I also will be adding a 10 gal sump/refigium to the setup now.

Thanks
Paul

Bearjohnson

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
You can move everything right in over. Also expect a little bit of a cycle as you will be disturbing the entire substrate.

Keep an eye on your water parameters once your done and water change as needed.

Have fun!

ddelozier

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
+1 ^. Bear is right. With that much disturbance of the sand, be ready to do some 20% water changes, and watch params like a hawk. Other than that, moving between tanks is easy. If you have enough premixed SW, and can do it, I'd setup a couple 18g tubs and put the rock in one and fish in the other. Then with the sand still in the old tank, wash it really well with SW. Wear gloves, Bristleworms are not fun to pet. add water twice the height of the sand. Swish it wround really well, till the water looks like mud. Give it just a min or 2 for the big particals to settle out, then siphon out as much water as possible. Repeat this 2 or 3 times, till the agitated water is similar in color to your sand, and not mud brown. Sand is pretty, but over time it becomes a sewer. Cleaning the sand before moving it will remove alot of the junk that will break down and cause parameters to go wacked.

Choff

Hrm methinks you are doing it wrong. I think you meant to say you wanted wanted to change to a 40 breeder or perhaps a 55?? :D

Sent using Tapatalk 2

DaveK

I would replace the sandbed with new sand, especially if it's a deep sandbed. Use a handful or two of old sand to seed the new.

Sandbeds often contain pockets of anaerobic bacteria, and you don't want to release them into the water all at once.