WANTED: How To Articles, Videos, Info... for a new Reef Keeping reference website.

jjmoneyman

RS Sponsor
Hey guys and gals, I'm starting a new .info website dedicated to this wonderful hobby. I'm trying to create the ultimate reef keeping reference website that people can refer to whenever they have questions. Right now the information is littered all over internet and I want to bring all this information together in one great place. For example if I want to learn how to make a home made sump I'll do a google search and after a while find a couple of links that have good information, but if I want to find out how to cure live rock I'll have to google again and after a while find a different website with that information on it. So what I'm trying to do is create a website that can encompass all these things in one place.
I'm not looking to steal this information from other websites so that is why I'm turning to you. Do you have a "How To" article or video that you think will benefit others in the hobby? I would love to see it.

I'm AM looking for everything including How To Set Up a Reef Aquarium, DYI light setup, Pest Identification, Guide on Macro Algae, How a Cycle Works, Building a Sump, and so much more... if you can think of it we can likely use it.

I am NOT looking to promote products or websites (ie: this xyz brand skimmer is the best because), I want this to be a general reef keeping information site. We will be selling no products on the site or having paid adwords or anything like that. Just information.

So if you have a DYI build, a How To Video, or informative write up or article and would like see it on the web please contact me. If you have posted it here already that is not a problem, if you have posted it elsewhere it's not a problem either as long as it is yours, I don't want stuff stolen from another website. And Yes I can include your pictures or video in the article as well. Just a FYI - I am not a writer so if it's very poorly written I will likely not use it. If I do see a couple tweaks it needs I will do that using my own discretion. I will also give you credit for the article unless you tell me not to. Anything you can do to help would be greatly appreciated!

Once I have enough articles/videos/DYI's I will release the website for all to see, but right now I'm still in the design and collecting informative articles phase so I don't want to release address as of yet.

ddelozier

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
Re: WANTED: How To Articles, Videos, Info... for a new Reef Keeping reference website

Very cool idea, I'll input what i can, should take about 30 sec if that. If you need IT help with the site Let me know. Im not a full time Web Designer, but i do know a thing or 2. I'll be following this thread Closesly

jjmoneyman

RS Sponsor
Re: WANTED: How To Articles, Videos, Info... for a new Reef Keeping reference website

Very cool idea, I'll input what i can, should take about 30 sec if that. If you need IT help with the site Let me know. Im not a full time Web Designer, but i do know a thing or 2. I'll be following this thread Closesly

Well I know enough about html to just about be dangerous and I'm hand coding the whole thing so it might get interesting, but I have the basic format laid out already as well as a few videos and articles I wrote already on it, but I'm hoping to make it a very informative site covering as much as possible. So anything you can contribute is appreciated.

ddelozier

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador

Well I know enough about html to just about be dangerous and I'm hand coding the whole thing so it might get interesting, but I have the basic format laid out already as well as a few videos and articles I wrote already on it, but I'm hoping to make it a very informative site covering as much as possible. So anything you can contribute is appreciated.

I probably know just about that much or maybe a bit less. My focus has always been on Networking, but i do have to maintain the company webserver/website/webportal for email.

Willie McDaries

where do you want the info posted at JJ ? e-mail,PM,or in this thread

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
What a fantastic idea dude!

I'm on it! Who else has something worth contributing? Devon u ever build a sump? Rob u ever set up a calc reactor? Ben u ever shock the heck outta yourself? Cat u ever frag a zoa? Willie u know anybody that has built a giant tank? Dan how bout a lighting review? Ian how bout a photography lesson!

I'm suddenly finding myself not needed. Like at home! Ah, spose I'll document this 40 gallon build.

Seriously, there's a ton of talent here. This is gonna b cool.

..........rarely am I speechless

Re: WANTED: How To Articles, Videos, Info...

Fantastic idea. I had proposed a database of corals and their ideal water conditions and feeding/lighting about a month ago. I will send you the database template.

Sent from whatever device I happen to have in my hand... Yes, I have "issues".

jjmoneyman

RS Sponsor

Thanks gang, I knew I could count on you guys to come through for me. Feel free to shoot me whatever you've got that might help.

Willie McDaries

What a fantastic idea dude!

I'm on it! Who else has something worth contributing? Devon u ever build a sump? Rob u ever set up a calc reactor? Ben u ever shock the heck outta yourself? Cat u ever frag a zoa? Willie u know anybody that has built a giant tank? Dan how bout a lighting review? Ian how bout a photography lesson!

I'm suddenly finding myself not needed. Like at home! Ah, spose I'll document this 40 gallon build.

Seriously, there's a ton of talent here. This is gonna b cool.

+1 I agree,lotsa talent here......I built a wooden sump too and if I remember correctly,seems like you may have built a glass sump too Matt and maybe some cool frag tank stands and whatnot :D

JJ is welcome to use anything in my plywood tank build too...I have a few other DIY threads on here as well :D

engineer goby

Love the idea, this should make things easier for everyone involved. I will post my how to video of me changing a filter sock while wearing a thong

......I need serious help

dmatt88

I've already started a how-to video on downloading tapatalk.

I think its gonna be a winner. Stand back n witness greatness.

How-to number two is titled "my $1500 light switch". Long timers understand.

Willie McDaries

:LOL: I remember

Funlad3

Sweet, I'll do something about dosing at the very least. :)

Last edited:

R1junkie

not a long timer but let me guess, you have one of those light switches that doesn't actually turn off a light but a wall socket somewhere in the room. (I have one of these switches in my house as well)

jjmoneyman

RS Sponsor

Thank you for your contributions Willie! Lets get some more gang! You can grab something out of your build, if it's reefer related I could likely use it.

Willie McDaries

Thank you for your contributions Willie! Lets get some more gang! You can grab something out of your build, if it's reefer related I could likely use it.

my pleasure,I can't wait to see the site :D

Funlad3

JJ, I think it would be incredible if you could create a section for people to put pictures of their system, but with pictures from other people with the same sized tanks. For example, pictures of RedNeckGearHead's tank would be grouped with pictures of mine, as we both have 90s. It would show everyone exactly what the possibilities are for different tanks. :)