Want to buy an RSM 250

zak786

Hi All

Am based in London UK and need a convenient, quality but branded solution.

I love the look of the RSM 250 but I am not sure after speaking to a local store today that it is the way to go ?

It looks a quality system and no matter where else I look it always seems to be the best choice currently out there.

I have some concerns which seem to have some foundation :-

1) Was told the protein skimmer has failed on all 3 units the local fish store sold

2) The cabinets on som RSM units did not match the photos

3) The lids on some of the units do not close flush

4) The chiller is not optional its basically essential as the pumps (even the revised spec new ones) are heating the water

Any one else have probs like this or is it just a case of the LFS trying to sell me one of their own build systems for more profit ?

Thanks

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Zak - welcome to the owners forum !

The 250 owners here should be able to give you some good feedback & more details.

In general I can tell you that RSM builds a quality all-in-one tank, the best on the market for the price.

The positives far out weight any negatives and there are hundreds of rsm owners that have really successful tanks.

I went with the 130D because of space considerations & am very very happy with my purchase decision in every way!

The 250 RSM's are drop dead beautiful tanks, the best looking tanks I have seen anywhere by far!

Out of every post I have read here on the forum (and that's all most all of them in this owners group, even old ones since before I joined), I think I only remember one that regretted their purchase decision & that was because they decided they needed a chiller & didn't want to invest in one - this could be a consideration - I don't happen to need a chiller for my 130D.

JPsnaps

Overall we're happy with our purchase. One downside for us is how heavy it is... it's going to be a pia when we have to move....

Our cabinet matches, lid closes shut. Skimmer hasn't given us any problems, but we haven't turned it on lately because the tank gets too hot.

So the big problem is the heat. We prop the lid a little open for now. We still don't have a chiller hooked on yet, but we're planning on it. Now we need it more than ever because our extra back fans stopped working. The fuse blew. Also even though this is a closed system, I've found that I lose a lot in evaporation so save up for an auto top off system too. We'll be hooking up our chiller and ATO system soon. Just still waiting for tubing to arrive.

zak786

HI JPsnaps and thanks for the info ...can I have a chiller and an auto topup hidden away under neath the cab. I like the neatness of the system so thats why I am gonna go for it. IF I have the chiller and the auto topup do I need to mod the system as I was hoping I would not need to ?

Whipitup

...can I have a chiller and an auto topup hidden away under neath the cab.

A bit like how long is a piece of string, but........

I would have thought so, but it depends on how big the chiller unit and auto-top up tank are.

Have a look at the chiller size that is suitable for the 250 or PM Noweslly NSR (I think he's just got one) and got an Auto top up tank that will then fit in the remaining space.

You will probably need the cabinet cooling kit as well though.

Roger

Nowellsy SNR

Hi Zak welcome to the forum i've had my Max250 for just over 5 weeks now and im still very very happy with it i've had no problems with the skimmer mine is doing a great job, the cabinet does match the photos looks stunning in the flesh, my lid sits perfect maybe they had the skimmer neck to far up? As for the heat i've been able to maintain a temp of between 24c and 27c but im buying a chiller for peice of mind......

This tank as got to be the nicest looking on the market today in my eyes its Stunning!!

Hope this helps you decide...

zak786

Thanks all. I am glad to see someone in the UK is not having over heating probs :) I just dont want to take the plunge then have to spend lots of time fixing problems with this piece of kit.

Nowellsy SNR

Thanks all. I am glad to see someone in the UK is not having over heating probs :) I just dont want to take the plunge then have to spend lots of time fixing problems with this piece of kit.
You wont be dissapointed mate!! Lovely tank im glad i blew £1300 on it lol The Mrs wasnt tho :bluenod:

RaysReef

Has been struck by the ban stick
I had one immediate problem - the smaller pump was missing a part and wouldn't work. I contacted RS, emailed some photos, and they sent me the part in 48 hours. So I can't complain.

My only nag is the protein skimmer is noisey, but it works well. I'm also having difficulty in finding the proper euro-plugs for the power center - I want spares in case I have to change the heater / pump.

FYI, it's cost me around £2200 (+£400 LR) so far and that's me keeping it simple. I've still got to stock the tank! So you could have a nice set up for half the price, but a lot of hassle...

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
when making the sales pitch... tell the Mrs ... it's not just a tank, it's a beautiful piece of new furniture for the home...
026.gif
010.gif

If the budget is a big concern... might think about the 130D, half the price to buy & half the price to stock...