very new

chrisgil10

can some one suggest a site, or book to read up on the hobby that speaks a simple girls language I enjoy learning but it is a hard process to look up what alot ot your lingo means. I am by no means unintellegent but wow this is an involved way to "pass the time" lol

blue_eyes53813

Hello. This hobby can be very overwelming.. There are a lot of books on the market about SW. This Hobby can be confusing because there are so many different ways to set up a system... Pick what works best for you and go with it... PLease feel free to jump in any thread and post a question or start your own thread of questions... Its cool.. thats what we are here for... Post what you want to do with a system and We will help you along the way if needed...

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Hello :wave: and welcome!

It seems overwhelming but once you get some of the terms under your belt it gets a LOT easier.

framerguy

Robert Fenners book "The Conscientious Marine Aquarist" is one of the best beginners books in print. It's easy to read, lighthearted with funny stories of his experiences, and a wealth of knowledge. I recommend starting with that book then ask questions here about areas you don't understand.

Lost Pirate KY

Hi There !! New here also, Check out this book It seems very understandable.

Natural Reef Aquariums ( Simplified Approaches to Creating Living Saltwater Microcosms) By John H. Tullock

I have seen it on E-bay under reef aquariums for around 10 bucks after I bought mine new for around 30 oh well

heels92

It can be complicated...but after a while you learn that it is like a garden

You will make mistakes, but that is ok. Learn from your mistakes and still make them again...

chrisgil10

You are all so nice with you responces I which makes me feel like it is ok to ask questions thaks so much. off tho see about some of those books

chrisgil10

You are all so nice with you responces I which makes me feel like it is ok to ask questions thaks so much. off tho see about some of those books

sambrinar

First Welcome... this is an excellent site, I wish I would have found it before I started my tank... but I am here now :D

I will let you know, that if you haven't choosen a tank size yet... the bigger it is the easier it is to take care of.

that is from learning experience.. I started with a 12 gallon (and still have it), you will quickly out grow it and the chemistry can swing much much easier in a small tank

Welcome, welcome, welcome.
This is where I came when I started almost a year ago now. I would not be where I am without the help and input of alot of reefers here.
Coming from another girl, I was told about Saltwater Aquariums for Dummies.
Let me tell you, it was a real easy read with alot of helpful information.
Take what you read with experience from people with experience and the experience you get from learning and have fun and explore!
One strong word of advice. DON'T RUSH IT! Take your time as hard as it is just starting out. You go to the fish store and see soooo many colourfull fish that you would LOVE to add, wait, let your tank cycle and do what you need to then add your wet friends slowly. Research who is compatible with whom and then watch as your happy under water world takes hold.
Enjoy, and never be afraid to ask questions. A year into it and I am still having a ton of questions!