*Vent* Bad timing

seafansar

So I have a 20 gallon set up and only had a few corals in it and a RBTA. It's been doing fine for a few months now. Yesterday we started taking down our big 150 gallon and I managed to catch one of my five beautiful carberryi anthias. I put her into the 20, so it would be easy to catch her later on. Well last night the heater in the 20 gallon decided it wanted to cook the tank. Woke up to almost dead corals (think I can save most of them) and a dead anthias. :cry1: I really love my anthias, so this is a blow to me. Stupid stealth heater!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! R.I.P. little miss anthias.

On the bright side, I almost put my awesome purple tilefish in there last night too, but instead took him over to my dad's tank where we are moving most of the livestock from the 150 to. Thank goodness I didn't! I'd be crying all morning if I did!

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Sara so sorry to hear...
1346.gif

You might be interested in this thread... when Geoff's stealth heater stuck on (and if you google search - every brand of heater seems to cook a tank from time to time) the Marineland company paid to replace everything in his tank ! Can't beat that in the way of standing behind your heaters.

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/839826-post39.html

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
On a sidebar... from all the post I have read, seems a controller to plug the heater into is the only way to offer a degree of protection from this happening.
fam05.gif

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Wow - sorry to hear about another Stealth heater cooking a tank :( Was it a Pro model with the lighted indicator on top? They had some bad batches of those. As Glenn said contacting Marineland might get you some claim money, but it doesn't pay for the anguish of losing the tank life.

Agreed - a separate heater controller is really a must. So many seem to fail and cook a tank.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Aww dang Sarah! Sorry to hear this!! UGGG!!!

+14790456 on a Controller! Once you go "Controller" you never go back . . .

seafansar

I might contact them. What's the best separate heater controller? Are the true temp titanium heaters from jbj reliable? They have a separate heater controller that comes with the heater. That's what my dad just got for his tank. Want to make sure it is good, since all my stuff is going in there. I'm done with this hobby personally. Way too much stress, money, and heart break. But really, I just can't afford my power bills anymore.

reef dummy

My stealth started to cook my tank too. Luckily I caught it in time, Ebo from here on out. They have never failed me.

GrendelPrime

ive heard alot of bad things about the stealth...and im sorry to hear about ur tank and i can frag some stuff up for u and help get u back on ur feet

seafansar

Thanks for the offer! You guys are great! But I'm downgrading to just two nano's and giving the rest to my dad to help lower my power bill. I'm going to look into heater controllers for my nano's.