UV bad for corals?

goodgreef

I just joined your community and it looks great. I'm a newbie (had my tank for about 4 months) and was informed that my UV light might not be good for corals as it kills the micro-organisms that help nourish the corals. Any comments are really appreciated.

Thanks,

goodgreef

Uslanja

Hi goodgreef! Welcome aboard! Don't have an answer for you but I'm looking forward to following along and learning more.

SecretAgent

Hey Nova, that actually helped me so thanks for thinking they were asking about UV lighting! Now I know not to cover my 155 with acrylic sheets. Will leave them off now, maybe my corals will color a little more

OHmariner

So this is an inline UV just for filtering right? So the only thing the UV light actually hits is the water flowing through the UV unit?

Im not a scientist but I assume all corals in nature receive UV light, im not positive because UV light is funny. For example, I use to have an iguana and they use to say it has to be in direct sunlight to get the UV light it needs and if you have it by a window the UV gets filtered by the glass and isnt as strong, I wonder if this applies to water? Sorry to get off track...:doh:

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
In the case of reptiles what your looking for is uvb bulbs that stimulate production of vitamin D3, the D3 allows for the animal to absorb calcium without it iguanas will suffer from metabolic bone disease.

The uv sterilizers for aquariums are very powerful and used to kill parisites, algea, and really anything that passes through the tube. Completely different from a uvb bulb you put on your reptiles.

OHmariner

In the case of reptiles what your looking for is uvb bulbs that stimulate production of vitamin D3, the D3 allows for the animal to absorb calcium without it iguanas will suffer from metabolic bone disease.

The uv sterilizers for aquariums are very powerful and used to kill parisites, algea, and really anything that passes through the tube. Completely different from a uvb bulb you put on your reptiles.

I am aware of that, the reptiles need UVA and UVB, my point was simply pondering if UV light would really affect corals or not, because if it isnt penetrating the water than it probley wont hurt the corals much.