Using seawater test

nivek

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
Went to the beach today with the family and decided to collect some seawater to test as well as to use in my own tank. Collected 500ml of seawater and took it home to test and here is what I found.

Sg - 1.023
Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, Phosphate - 0
Ca - 380
Alk - 7dkh

I let the seawater settle in the water bottle and poured in about 300ml of it into my tank and throwing away the sediments (fine sand etc). The corals reacted quite well and opened up in a feeding manner after a few minutes, maybe due to the phytoplankton found in the seawater. Will gradually add more to the tank and keep you guys updated.

At the beach

9053419529_1ecf688db4_c.jpg

Test results

9055661602_e56e54ac3c_c.jpg

Wife and son was busy digging for small clams which we later released back into the sea.

9055651618_24a7ab2472_c.jpg

nivek

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
Just an idea about where my geographical location, I live on an island so we're surrounded by open sea and coral reefs are just a boat ride away. However I've narrowed down my seawater source to a few beaches where the water is cleaner (and hopefully spot some occelaris) :)

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Thanks for sharing Kevin! Some of us live way tooooo far away & very seldom get to see the sea. Your pictures make me want to schedule an Ocean Vacation :snshne: Awesome pictures! :D

nivek

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
Thanks Diana :) Although we only live 5 mins away from the beach, the last time we actually went to play at the beach was more than 8 years ago. Gonna up the frequency seeing how my son enjoyed himself today :)

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Very interesting. Looking forward to seeing how things react over time. Keep us posted.