using 2 striplights a problem?

rDr4g0n

ive got the one that came with my hood (20watt flourescent), but ive also got another strip light laying around. is it a problem if i buy a piece of glass (precut this time :p) and place it on top of my aquarium to accomidate the second light? if this would be ok, i think im gonna get a 10000k light to go with my 50/50.

whadayathink?

blue_eyes53813

I dont see a problem with it. The only thing you may run into is a heat issue with the extra glass. make sure to keep extra room under the glass for oxygen exchange at the top of the water. good luck

PhilOlsen

Has been struck by the ban stick
If you are keeping a fish only or a FOWLER that would work, but it would not be sufficent for corals. What do you plan on keeping?

rDr4g0n

If you are keeping a fish only or a FOWLER that would work, but it would not be sufficent for corals. What do you plan on keeping?

well..... there is so many options, and i learn so much everyday that my plans change frequently. i currently have a few cup corals, some sponges (which are doing very well btw), 3 turbo snails, 1 emerald crab and 1 pajama cardinal. the system is very close to balanced and im starting to get algae growth. i think within in the next few weeks ill buy 2 more cardinals to get a little school going. if my levels all hit 0 and my system stabilizes i want to add a few green chromis.

after a few months, i want to add an anemone and clown.

this is the juncture im unsure about (maybe 6 months from now). i can go for a dwarf angel of some type, or butterfly or something, just as long as its big and pretty (big of course within the limits of my 30gal tank). or i can start adding corals.... i may even be able to do both. im not sure. i do understand that if i wanna do corals, i need to go with some sort of VHO lighting.

any guidance or advice is appreciated.

PhilOlsen

If you are planning on a anenome, you really need to invest in metel halide lighting, you may be able to go with a 4 bulb T5, I have seen it done, but the tanks with MH have healthier anenomes IMO, plus the MH will open up other coral options down the road that a T5 would not be sufficent for.

rDr4g0n

If you are planning on a anenome, you really need to invest in metel halide lighting, you may be able to go with a 4 bulb T5, I have seen it done, but the tanks with MH have healthier anenomes IMO, plus the MH will open up other coral options down the road that a T5 would not be sufficent for.

which would then necessitate a chiller...

PhilOlsen

That depends on the wattage you use and how far above the tank it is mounted as well as where in the house it is located, if you run a single 250 watt pendant kept 6-8" above the tank you may not need a chiller, there are a lot of people who run MH without one and a lot that do, the only way to tell for sure is after installed and checking temps. If the tank is in a basement that is another factor vs. being on the top floor where inside temps tend to be higher.

rDr4g0n

well it looks like id better start researching MH a little more. i was avoiding it since it seemed to be extremely hardcore as far as lighting goes, but the idea of working off a single pendant light makes it a little more approachable. plus pendant lighting is stylish and cool and will fit into my living room decor >= )

i must add that i live in south texas and its very hot here for about 9 - 10 months of the year. the issue is exasperated by the fact that i have a number of computers running all the time so my house warms up quickly. i keep the AC on 73-75, but it struggles to keep the temp under control. im curious to see what temps the tank hits once summer hits full force here.

thank you for the advice, and i will definatly look into t5 and MH lighting.

Warnberg

Actually, I went from T5's to MH's and my electric bill went down 90.00 a month. I don't have to place the MH's as close to the water as the T5's, therefor I get better air circulation in the hood and the chiller runs much less. Now I believe if I had a closed loop system (instead of 4 tunzes) for circulation and few extra fans I could get away without a chiller...

Dragon Wrasse

Sorry PhilOlsen but I need to jump in here.....You really do not need MH for a anenome.....I have been running 4x65W PC's on my softy tank for over two years with no problem, my LTA (corkscrew) anenome has grown from 4" to over 12" and exstends to over 10" this thing is a monster with two Clarkie's liveing in it....my lighting on this tank is 2x65W actinic, 2x65W 10K with 15 420nM moon light LED's....this light has also been good for all kinds of soft corals...ricordia, mushrooms, polyps, toadstools, leathers and few other odds and ends. My concern would be adding anenome to a coral tank thats only 30 gal. My tank is 75 gal. and when my anenome decieds it wants to move is always a mad dash to save the corals.....a 12" anenome can kill a bunch of coral in a short amount of time....if I had it to do all over again I would have thought twice before adding the LTA to my tank.....just something to think about ......an anenome will move...its not like a coral that will just sit and stay were you place it....when it decides to move (and it will) it will move.

rDr4g0n

*after searching for the definition of LTA for 10 minutes*

AHA! Longe tentacle anemone! yet another thing to consider. crazed anemones running amok in my tank! this is about as simple as constructing and launching a rocket into space.... with your only tools being a stick and a herring. (dont forget the shrubbery!)

seriously though, this is really an informative discussion and is prompting me to continue researching various aspects of aquarium husbandry.

Warnberg

Good for you... best thing to do is decide, what it is you want to keep, make a list, then check research what each things requirements are. You may find that some things just don't work with others....... But in my opinion MH's will give you a larger variety on what you can keep.

Dragon Wrasse

Good for you... best thing to do is decide, what it is you want to keep, make a list, then check research what each things requirements are. You may find that some things just don't work with others....... But in my opinion MH's will give you a larger variety on what you can keep.

Totally agree with you on all counts, my point was that you don't need MH for anemones....but your right MH's will give you better flexability...I have done three up grades in lights on one of my tanks, when I should have just gone all out the first time....I sure would have saved a bunch of $$$$$

rDr4g0n

Totally agree with you on all counts, my point was that you don't need MH for anemones....but your right MH's will give you better flexability...I have done three up grades in lights on one of my tanks, when I should have just gone all out the first time....I sure would have saved a bunch of $$$$$

when first getting the stuff for this tank i spent $40 on a HOB filter and another $40 on the hood and flourescent lighting. i dont need the filter, and the lighting may be inadequate anyways. it sucks spending money and finding out you coulda saved it.

not to mention the money i spent on materials in my failed attempts at a DIY overflow lol