Urgent

AJinNY

Can a mantis or pistol shrimp be all white in color? I saw something white underneath the live rock and I tried to hit it then it swam away rapidly...and it looked almost like a white seahorse....now I see it on the rock sort of sitting there but I know its alive.

Could THIS be the mantis thats been causing my headaches?

Since he is in view, anything I can do? i tried taking a pic but with the white sand, you cant see anything.

Thanks.

A

Since he is in view, anything I can do? i tried taking a pic but with the
white sand, you cant see anything.

Thanks.

A[/QUOTE]
How fast it moves?Can you use a little net to get it out?I will suggest not to touch it with bare hands it might bite you!

VINA

AJinNY

no its on the underside of the rock and I dont think its coming out to play so I cant catch it with a net.

can they be all white....this one isnt too big but I do see it.....what do I do now?

ReefLady

Staff member
Look anything like this?

3Mantisoverhead.jpg

ReefLady

Staff member
Now that you know what to look for, see if you can catch it in a rock you can pull out easily. (Assuming it's a mantis)

Barring that, try the various trapping methods.

T

AJinNY

when i tapped it with my scraper it swam a little and it was elongated (from top to bottom)...it sort of looked like your picture but it was standing up vertical....it was all white and I saw 2 claws....when i twas still I thought it was a crab....when it was swimming it looked sort of like a seahorse.

ReefLady

Staff member
The pic I posted was a mantis. The color sounds like it very well could be a pistol though. Try doing a web search and see if you can find something that looks like it in lieu of getting us a pic. :)

ReefLady

Staff member
If you could see claws sticking forward, kinda like a lobster, I'd bet pistol.

Mantis shrimps tuck their claws/spears/smashers under their carapace like a... well, praying mantis. Notice no protruding claws in the pic I posted?

Craig Manoukian

Pistol Shrimp.

marinedepotlive_1822_6310922

Pistol Shrimp (Alpheus spp.) Also known as Click Shrimp, Popping Shrimp and Snapping Shrimp. These animals snap shut their enlarged claw to generate a loud click which in an aquarium sounds something like a marble being thrown at the glass! They are generally considered peaceful tankmates if you can put up with the noise which is at its worst in the dead of night.

Gina

RS STAFF
AJ,
Maybe you could set up an small nano tank for the guy! Lots of people here keep these mantis shrimp (if that's what you have). I've heard they are very cool to watch.

AJinNY

well when it was just sitting there it almost seemed like a lobster or carb and it had its claws on top of its head....when i tried to hit it, it swam vertically and outstretched and it looked like a shrimp of some sort.....but i didnt notice one claw being larger than the other (typical of a pistol, no?). Also it was all white if this makes a difference. When it was vertical it was about three quarters of an inch high.

Its morning and now I dont see it anywhere.

ScottT1980

mps9506 said:
scary....

an all white mantis might fetch some decent momey:)
could be in the middle of a molt when you saw it also.

Mike

Exactly what I was thinking, a soft-shelled mantis...

Take er easy
Scott T.

AJinNY

It looks like it was a baby and no it didnt look like that pic...but its hard to tell.

How much could i get for him? :D

Not that it matters....I cant catch him.

He hasnt clicked much lately. LOL