urgent advice needed

da456789

I have just restarted my tank after Gustav had dropped a tree on the sunroom. What i did not notice was 2 small chips on the side that was facing the window that exploded. The tank is an Oceanic Systems 46 Gallon Bowfront. 1 of chips is very small and the other appears to be a possible scratch.

Is this something i need to worry about?

:help1:

Attachments

• IMGP4575.jpg
    IMGP4575.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 47

new reefer 03

na, i would watch it for any leaks, but if it doesnt leak in a week or so i would worry about it. its just a scratch

BigJay

any break in the surface tension of glass can cause it to continue to crack or explode. Not saying it will but it could.

da456789

BigJay

Would the tank glass give any warning of failure? I am wondering if it would be better just to replace the tank now than chance a failure once it is stocked. I noted possible damage to tank with the insurance adjuster they would probably pay for a replacement tank but not the livestock or liverock.

BigJay

its much more dangerous obviously in tempered glass since the rapid heating and cooling they use to make the glass stores tremendous stress in the glass.
Its possible nothing will ever come from it. I have seen chips much worse never cause a problem but I have seen small scratches in glass under no tension give way to massive cracks in no time flat.
With everything you have riding on that glass I feel I don't want to advise you either way.My recomendation would be to contact Oceanic and get thier opinion.

da456789

Thanks Bigjay just bookmarked their website will try and give them a call in the morning. It just seems like whenever I fix one thing around here 2 more pop up. I had just bought some decent live rock and placed it in the tank. The ammonia levels finally are falling now this. At ths rate the clownfish might never get out the qt. Will let you know what Oceanic says.

I had a tank that had a very similar mark. It cracked after a short while. If possible, I would replace it, IMO.

My cousin took another tank that had a similar mark and put sealant on front and back to cover it, and his is doing well after 5 months.

da456789

Found more small chips on the same side. Also some of the scratches now look a lot like hairline cracks this morning. So after I get out of work(meeting i needed to attend) I am going home and tear down the tank again. I will try and find another 46 bow localy but may have to order 1.

Questions

I realy want to save the live rock. I have a 120Qt Ice chest -- would that make a decent holding area while get a new tank in? And how should I go about trying to save the life on the live rocks?

How would I go about trying to save the live sand?

I am almost tempted to just find out what standard size tank would take 2 36 inch light fixtures and just upgrade to larger size tank