Urchin Opinions

blugoon

My plain old green run of the mill urchin really cleans the coralline algae off the rocks as well as anything else he finds tasty. I sort of have a soft spot for it as he was one of my first purchases when I set up my 46 gal over a year ago. He also carries stuff around with him, including a part off my power head when it fell to the bottom. I don't know whether to keep him in the tank at the sake of the algae or move him to another tank,or the fish store. Any suggestions...?

Jess

My plain old green run of the mill urchin really cleans the coralline algae off the rocks as well as anything else he finds tasty. I sort of have a soft spot for it as he was one of my first purchases when I set up my 46 gal over a year ago. He also carries stuff around with him, including a part off my power head when it fell to the bottom. I don't know whether to keep him in the tank at the sake of the algae or move him to another tank,or the fish store. Any suggestions...?

What is the problem exactly? Sorry if I'm missing it.....

blugoon

I guess the problem is whether coralline algae is more desirable than the urchin. I know it is a personal preference but was wondering what the more experienced crowd thinks about it. I like to watch him but don't particularly like the scorched earth landscape he leaves after gliding over the live rock.

sambrinar

I have pencil urchin very cool looking dude!! hasnt' picked up anything (I don't think these guys do that)

Lurkerz

I watched mine pick up a hermit the other day. Later when I looked in the hermits shell was scrapped clean of coraline.

Luukosian

my pencil urchin is cool looking, had him for a year or so but he has definetly fragged a few corals for me. If you keep mainly soft coral then pencils arent a problem but.....I've thought of putting him in the sump many a time. He definetly eats up the corraline but I don't see that as a problem, he has also let his "seed" out several times which clouds up the tank for a while. Neat to watch it eat and all the rock chunks that come out the other end.(ok normal people might not find this neat but its a reef forum so you guys understand)