Urchin Opinions

Well once again im thinking of getting something exotic in my tank. This time i was thinking of an Urchin. Could you guys chime in on some of the benefits and disadvantages of these creatures? And some of your own experiences with urchins?

mikejrice

Blue tuxedo pincushion urchins are awesome in a reef aquarium. I've had mine for about 6 months now and love it. They can be found about the size of a golf ball and as I've heard it only get about as big as a softball. They don't bother coral and seem to eat minimal coralline algae. The most interesting thing about them is they like to attempt camouflaging themselves by picking up rocks, shells and anything else they can find. They're always wearing something.

snarf

i've had long spine urchins for a few years. Very good algea eaters. You can supplement their diet with seaweed.
If your water parameters are off they will start losing their spines.
Try not to get stung by one. feels like a bee sting. Always know where they are in your tank if you put your hands in for any reason. I learned the hard way.

I agree with Mikejrice, I have a blue tuxedo in my tank and it is wonderful...doesn't bother my corals or fish and just roams around my tank...I love it

Clownfish518

Razorback
PREMIUM
i've had long spine urchins for a few years. Very good algea eaters. You can supplement their diet with seaweed.
If your water parameters are off they will start losing their spines.
Try not to get stung by one. feels like a bee sting. Always know where they are in your tank if you put your hands in for any reason. I learned the hard way.

I agree. Watch out for the spines if you have one. They are barbed and are not easily pulled out.

Jess

I have a blue tuxedo urchin also, he's cool. I don't feed him anything and he's been in my 24g nano for about a year.

I also have a purple urchin in my 55g. The only thing you need to "worry" about is if your corals are loose on your rocks they will get knocked down by the urchins when they pass by them. Also, if you look at this thread I started you'll see what else they do. It's pretty entertaining but sometimes it's like ok enough's enough!!

In fact just last night my purple urchin got something.... I'll post in a few.

Oh just make sure you don't get a Rock Boring Urchin. I don't usually see them for sale but I have two hitchhikers in my nano that started out the size of my pinky nail and are now bigger than golf balls and next to impossible to catch because you cannot remove them from the rocks, they "anchor" themselves.... They are starting to outgrow my tank so I'm trying to get them out. Got one the other day, one to go.

Other than that, I think they are beautiful and pretty darn easy to keep.

NanoNewbie

I have a white pincushion urchin and it has eaten some of my star polyps. But mostly it eats algae and i give it seaweed. My long spine urchin loves the seaweed.

My blue tux has never bothered any of my corals, and has not yet knocked something over (knock on wood :)) And I have ran into him a few times and again (knock on wood :)) he hasen't gotten me yet...thankgod!!! A friend of mine has a spiny, and he showed me his hand from running into him a year ago...and all I could say was "ouch"

NOW if you want somthing really cool that is a scavenger, get a serpent starfish, they move around the tank and kind of act like a octopus...I love mine!!!! They are completely reef safe, and fun to watch...AND the bonus, they don't cost alot...I got mine for like 15...I think. Everyone loves watching him come out when it's feeding time.