upgrading from 75 a gallon to a 125 gallon

shark32

Hi,
I currently have a 75 gallon tank running for a little over four years. I want to upgrade slightly to a 125, but I am not sure exactly how it goes. When I was adding my fish originally, I added one every few weeks or months, allowing the tank to get accustomed to the new biological load. Now, when I would be changing tanks, I have a fully stocked tank... do I have to run two tanks simultaneously until all the fish can safely be transferred? Or does the fact that I will be using most of my old rock and some of the sand help speed things up? I know nothing in saltwater is speedy (except the growth of GHA and it's other cohorts of course!).
Thanks!

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
If you're reusing most of your live rock you should be fine to transfer them. Its "safer" if you can keep them both running and ease them over but TBH i think i might be unnecessary. Keep an eye on your ammonia levels and have a 20% WC on hand if anything goes wrong but i think you'll be good.

shark32

thx for the advice Psu4me! i don't have any corals, so if i left my 75 running for an extra bit lightless ,it couldn't hurt... i'll see how it goes...
and thx, Dianakay for the congrats! I am still getting all my ducks in a row, before i change anything! but it is still exciting planning the move!