Upgrade Protein Skimmer?

Noragos4

Hi all,

I'm a proud RSM 500S owner. Been happy with my aquarium, but I was thinking about upgrading the protein skimmer. My bro-in-law has a bubble king (obviously awesome and expensive), but his tank is super clear. I've adjusted the C-Skim 1800, performed routine maintenance, and it functions perfectly fine. I guess I'm looking for a crystal clear tank and was hoping my C-Skim 1800 would be able to keep up with my bioload (Multiple corals, 5 fish).

Any suggestions?
Anyone upgraded their Protein Skimmer in their Red Sea Max?

Any suggestions in regards to Protein Skimmer upgrades, besides Bubble King?

JamesFitz

reef? FOWLR? these thing make a difference. activity level? max size? filtration? feeding regiment? depending on the level of coral and other inverts that depend on dissolved nutrient, you should not have a problem. change the setting left or right, change the filtation up or down

Noragos4

Running a reef tank; 5 fish and numerous LPS, SPS corals. Tank is 130 gallon total system.
I was fiddling with the skimmer last night. Seems a little better today, I'll keep an eye on it.

ddelozier

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
3 ways i know of to get clearer water is to use some kind of floss to filter particulate matter, carbon filtration and Ozone. What i do on my 92g is i put a piece of panty hose, stuffed with synthetic pillow stuffing over the return line to the tank. Rubberband it in place and leave it for 2-4 days. always leaves my water crystal clear. One question though. Do you run any type of carbon filtration? A good Carbon reactor can clarify the water. Worst case, an ozone system will clear your water up, and ozone generator output should be run through carbon anyways, so its a 2part filtration system. I'd try the bag'o'floss over the inlet into the tank first. I dont do it all the time, but when i rearrange rockwork(tank still isnt populated with any corals, just a couple damsels.), the water clouds for a day or 2. I made the mistake of using sugar fine sand. So when it clouds, out comes the floss bag. It works well. 3 days max to clear water that looks like diluted milk, to crystal clear.

Skimmers dont necissarily clarify water, so you have to use some type of floss/carbon filtration(even temporarily) to help with the clarity.