Update water pump?

shingo43

I am currently running one stock nozzle, one hydor flo defector and one koralia evolution 425.

I am thinking getting myself a Vortech mp10 as a Christmas gift if I can find it on sale somewhere.

Is it worth the $200 upgrade?
Is it absolutely quiet?
Do I still need the hydor flo after I get the mp10?
where the the best position for mo10? left or right? up or middle?

The reasons I want to upgrade is to reduce the debris on the rock and provide intermittent flow for corals. Am I making a right decision? I mean $250(in Canada) for a water pump is a lot.

steved13

PREMIUM
I love my mp10s. I've never run the koralia so I really can't compare. The control and flow from the mp10s is really nice.

shingo43

koralia is actually not bad, they are small and quiet. but the drawback is the flow is one direction only.

steved13

PREMIUM
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention the MP10 is quiet, but I can't say absolutley silent. The mp10 is still flow in 1 direction only, just able to pulse on and off.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
I have an MP20 (right side) and still run my Hydor Flo. The more mixed up the current gets the better it is IMO.

reeferman

i said for a long time that vortechs werent worth the money,but that was before i actually owned them.now that i own them,YES,they are worth every penny!

reeferman

i was tired of my views being blocked by the bulky koralias and everyone swore by vortechs.i caved and im sooo glad i did.like a lot of other people have said,the undertow is incredible,my sandbed is spotless.

DBrinson

i said for a long time that vortechs werent worth the money,but that was before i actually owned them.now that i own them,YES,they are worth every penny!

About how I felt about Sea Swirls, before and after using them.

Powerheads? Don't need no stinkin' powerheads! :makefun:

w00t

I took my hydor flo off after I got my MP10, actually I think it was sooner than that. I honestly think those things are kinda useless imo, I think it would be much better on a stronger pump.

megrim

I can't rave enough about Vortechs, I have the MP10Wes, best bucks I ever spent on this tank. And I spent nearly 500 bucks on mine XD

The flow is unidirectional but is so wide and diffuse that it doesn't feel anything like other static pumps.

I have mine sitting literally less than a metre from my left ear. The only time I ever hear it is when it ramps up to full speed, or is on a pulse mode.

Still a lot quieter than the stock skimmer.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
The Vortechs ae indeed unidirectional, but the ramping up & down of the flow gives an easily seen back & forth motion on some of my corals like my torch. So it actually accomplishes the same thing as a wavemaker, in a different manner.

shingo43

I took my hydor flo off after I got my MP10, actually I think it was sooner than that. I honestly think those things are kinda useless imo, I think it would be much better on a stronger pump.

I am connecting the hydor on a Eheim compact 600, do you think I should upgrade it to a maxijet 900 or even 1200?

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
With a Vortech I don't think you'll need to change it. Wait till Santa comes & then decide. :)

shingo43

The best price for mp10 es I can find is $199, does any one know if there is a better price? if yes, can u please post the link here?
thanks

steved13

PREMIUM
I think that's a pretty good price I paid $198 at the LFS and everyone told me I got a great deal.

Gavin1110

Depends on if you get the wireless I think. I paid the extra because I plan on using 2 40's and 2 10s if I get a 100g + tank.

I love the pump. Sound wise you can hear it when it kicks on full blast but other than that is pretty quiet. Its not that loud honestly, but I like to know its working. Especially because I occasionally leave it turned up after I'm done cleaning the tank.

A great untalked about side effect is when I got rid of the K2 and got the mp10, my temp dropped ~2 degrees. It was especially helpful because it was in the summer.

steved13

PREMIUM
The wireless is a $50 upgrade over the $198 I paid. I bought 1 MP10ES for $198 and then I bought a second MP10ES for another $198 and 2 wireless chips for $50 each. Very true with the mechanics outside of the tank it can help with heat.

MP10ES = non wireless MP10WES = wireless if it has the wireless chip installed the "W" in the upper right hand corner will light up.

w00t

I am connecting the hydor on a Eheim compact 600, do you think I should upgrade it to a maxijet 900 or even 1200?

Like others have mentioned I don't think it's even worth it to get the FLO, if you are thinking about getting the MP10. Leave your pumps stock and try the MP10 first if you can swing it.