Unknown Hitchhiker

trent6868

Does anyone have any idea what this is and how to remove it before my puffer destroys it it cam in on a piece of live rock i introduced last evening.

Please refer to Attachments UNKNOWN 1, UNKNOWN 2

Attachments

• UNKNOWN 1.JPG
    UNKNOWN 1.JPG
    40.5 KB · Views: 40
  • UNKNOWN 2.JPG
    UNKNOWN 2.JPG
    46.3 KB · Views: 40

trent6868

Well do you have any ideas how to remove it i couldnt pull it off glass with just my hands its about 2inch long and 1 1/2 width... also tried a spatula to pry it off but no luck this thing is tough...

redsea reefer

I would watch it to see if its an algae eater, if it is, i would just keep it. If you want to get rid of it, slide it up or sideways instead of pulling.

trent6868

well what about the puffer? he destroyed a snail that was attached to the rock already last evening and i am affraid he will nibble at this thing and it will hide and die and build up ammonia...

redsea reefer

I don't think a snail will raise the Ammonia high enough to do anything especially if your at least one pound of rock per gallon.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
well what about the puffer? he destroyed a snail that was attached to the rock already last evening and i am affraid he will nibble at this thing and it will hide and die and build up ammonia...

He's "Destroying" them by eating them correct? If that's the case you REALLY have nothing to worry about and honestly a snail (or even a few of them) in a healthy tank "expiring" is no big deal at all.

It does look like a limpet and if it is odds are you'll kill it before you get it off in-tact. I've tried before on some new LR at the LFS and 70% of the time the shell literally tears from the body before it let's go of the glass. Their entire body sucks to the glass. Let it go but if you REALLY want it gone scrape it and something will "give".

seafansar

I'd think a limpet would have a better chance against a puffer than a regular snail. When they suck down onto a rock or glass, they can REALLY hold on, like Al mentioned.

trent6868

I just pulled this little fact off wik, and thanks for all the help...

"When true limpets are fully clamped down, it is impossible to remove them from the rock using brute force alone, and the limpet will allow itself to be destroyed rather than stop clinging to its rock. This survival strategy has led to the limpet being used as a metaphor for obstinacy or stubbornness".