Understanding RTD in Acros

Techno-Vicki

I have really learned a lot about retracting tissue diease (RTD) from personal experience. First, I would like to thank Jack for really pushing the Korias on me. I kept fighting because I knew I was going to get a bigger tank in a few months. I broke down and got them about 2 weeks ago, and WOW, what a difference.

To get to the point. In the first picture you will see a picture of a blue acro that I got about 4 months ago. I placed in an area of high light but low flow thinking I was going to move it soon. I didn't and RTD set in and the color was fading. You can see the residual effects at the base of the coral. By the time I noticed it, it was at the point you see it (pic 1). I moved the coral to more flow, but not a lot. The RTD stopped and some of the color returned. After I put the korilas in the tank, the color quickly returned, polyp extensions became more pronounced, and growth began. Remember, this is only 2 weeks.

I have a close up of the coral in pic 2.

Another benefit to serious flow in the tank is the rapid growth of the other acros. You can see a new green hyasinth with terrific polyp extension, a millie that has grown in the last two weeks (see the buds at the end) and the little blue 'stick' that has been beaten up and still survives. It also has new buds and beautiful color return in just two weeks.

My point - MORE flow and they will GROW!!

Attachments

• blue-acrors4.jpg
    blue-acrors4.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 66
  • acro-bluers3.jpg
    acro-bluers3.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 65
  • millie-stevers.jpg
    millie-stevers.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 65
  • hyasynth-greenrs.jpg
    hyasynth-greenrs.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 65

prow

hey viki did you catch the discovery channel last night? what timing on your post. its was about australias reefs and how it went from nothing to what it is today. they contribute the rapid growth of corals and diversitiy of life to the high currents.

lcstorc

I watched that show. It was awesome. Also they showed a lot of the corals we keep. I loved being able to name quite a few of them.

prow

I watched that show. It was awesome. Also they showed a lot of the corals we keep. I loved being able to name quite a few of them.
lol, Me too. it was hard to keep up with what they were saying all the time. i was busy naming all the fish too:D i was so pleasently surprise i stumble on it. i hope they show it again, so i can hear what i missed while focussed on all the corals and fishes. i did learned hard corals can not grow in water temps <72, only some softy types like seafans. that i found really interesting.