Ugh Gross

Dweezil

Okay, so the last couple nights I have been getting out the flashlight and spying on the tank. I noticed what I though might have been a hair or something stuck to one of the rocks waving in the flow...then noticed a few more. What could these be? I asked myself. Then the hunt began for info. I have determined this is what I have Digitate hydroids Anybody have any experience with these or how to get rid of them? Can't seem to find any good info on how to get rid of them and apparently there are different kinds some that are colonial but mine are just like the one pictured.

Oakhouse

Looks really delicate, and quite nice until I read can sting stronger than any coral!

Do you really need to get rid? One thought superglue?

Dweezil

It's not just one there are like 7 or 8 of them. Everything I've been reading say's they can sometimes sting your corals. Plus....they are just eewwww haha. Never out when the lights are on just at night. Like I said they almost look like a hair they are so fine

Dweezil

Thanks Tom ~ I had already read that thread and it has conflicting information about what to do. Some say not to worry and some say try to get rid of them. One thing in common however is there are no "easy" way's to get rid of them. I know I got rid of at least one of them cause I took the small rock out it was on and nuked it in the microwave. :)

tnwillia

Sorry Tammy... the conflicting ideas was why I put it up so you could see others actions. I know it wasn't much help. When in doubt take it out! I like the microwave "NUKE" solution!