ugghhhhh Dang Kids Help for a sec plz Walking batfish

wazzifam

Ok... Dont kill the messanger here. At least Thats how I feel. Sorry its long,

I thought I was impulsive.... Well im not in comparison to what happened this weekend while we were at work. Our Schedules take us away from here for long hours... mainly any viewing hours. Got a last minute call that I was needed at work. Kids, (not kids, adults that live with me still.) seem to sense this so lets try to surprise everyone, was the motto for this weekends tank events.
I did a water change. everything was good. did some maint. that was needed and left for work. Normally kid calls every half hour or so to check up on where we are. Didnt get to suspicious cause this is normal. they keep better tabs on us than we do on them.

Anyway, he planned to go to the fish stores with my friend that is also bad when it comes to impulse. I knew they were going but not supposed to bring anything home. Yea right. like sending them to the candy counter and telling them smell dont taste.
OK they go into this new store, (Wont tell me where) They see this creature and the old have to have it strikes. they didnt get any info at all. The guy didnt ask tank requirements or anything as usual just gave the same song and dance. Oh reef safe, wont bother other fish, calm fish that likes to hide. etc. same song and dance. Great for any tank.
Well come to find out, this fish has been in the tank since Saturday.
Im not happy about it but dont know what to do.

This fish is a walking bat fish (yellow footed batfish, longnose batfish). It has a basic requirement of 100 gallons. It eats silversides. they re-aquascaped the WHOLE tank to accomodate him. He needs sand bed, lower light, and eats silversides. He is absolutely to huge and I cant return him!! This guy seems like a complete a-hole to me now. just goes to show they will sell anything to anyone. Son told them we were setting up a 150 and thats what musta confused the guy. but my 150 wont be ready for months!!

**Problems**
1. Not enough info on this fish only see most pics in huge aquariums which I do not have. :grr:
2. Too big for my 55 gallon tank. :cry1:
3. not agressive but making my other fish petrified. Already missing tick the fire fish.
4. Son for sale and/
in trade for aquarium equip for 150!
5. I have no quarantine tank. so they just dumped him in after acclimation. which all stories vary on how long they did it and how.
6. Black & White clown fish NOW has POPEYE again. thats how he got his name in the mean time. Can I put the medicine in for the popeye with everything in the tank. Corals and occupants? No Quarantine tank here!
7. Son just called with number to store. Must be feeling stupid and guilty. they dont open till 12 if they open at all on a monday.
8. Now what!

they say this is a creature from these parts. Ive attatched some pics so you can check him out. I wish he could stay but the transition to new tank is just to far outta reach.

sorry its so long. Just frustrated.
guess I need to take sons name outta santas list. he thought he was being good.
Enjoy the pics. A Face only a mother could love!
lst pics are of the clowns eye.
100_5333.jpg

the carpet hes nesting in is a figment of his illusion. its the backdrop on the tank but dont tell him!
100_5334.jpg

100_5329.jpg

100_5328.jpg

100_5327.jpg

100_5325.jpg

100_5336.jpg

100_5330.jpg

I Know Im gonna take a beating for this. I need input. good and of course bad, or I wouldnt have posted here!

BigJay, It isnt my fault! :surrender:

naperenterprise

Well you pretty much covered everything...lol

All I'll say is he's a cool looking fish! Did you buy some silversides?? ;)

Oh and feel free to ship him up here to me ;)

wazzifam

jerk at store said. He only eats once a week. I have not gotten him any yet, I tried to feed him a baby molly but he turned his trunk up at it.
I know the reason son got it, I collect elephants. Did you see its face. No wonder he had to have it.
I just found him over the first cup of morning coffee. Almost spilled it on the floor as I was taking a drink and looking into the tank. thought there was a dinosour in there! had to walk away to get a 2nd cup to look again!
Kids didnt tell me. just let me find it on my own.
Surprise MOM

Is it feasable to keep or should I be MAKING them take it back.
Like I dont know the answer. just Need to hear it from my fish friends, not my kid and other fish friend!
He is awesome.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Woa! That's not a good purchase at all. I'd be calling around to ANY shops and see about trading it in for future store credit. That's an amazing fish in the right tank. That's only IF it accepts food in the aquarium as they have a solid history of NOT accepting food in captivity. Due to their slow metabolism they "seem" to live long periods of time and then suddenly go down hill. This is because they are slowly starving to death in captivity. The ONLY way I would get one is:

A) I have the correct tank/set-up
B) It appears healthy
C) I can SEE it feed in the store

A) Tank is too small.. they can grow to OVER 1' long. Talk aboutt BIO-Load!
B) That one looks healthy
C) I'd be willing to bet they didn't SHOW it feeding in the store.

Seriously call around... you may have to take a "hit" in the wallet on trade-in but either a local store or another aquarist will hopefully take it.

sambrinar

That poor fish looks like a mutant. His face kinda looks like the grinch. Certainly interesting. I would make them take it back, but keep in mind they will prolly just sell it to another unsuspecting reefer. definately call around as Al said

naperenterprise

Well what I would do is re scape the 55. Stack everything in opposite corners leaving a wide open area in the middle of your 55 gallon tank giving him as much space as possible, get some live sand and supliment that middle area so if he gets threatened, the Longnose Batfish can bury itself in the sandy bottom.

And get moving getting your bigger tank up and running keeping him in mind. Requires a diet of crustaceans and polychaete worms along with small feeder fish. It may, however, refuse to eat in an aquarium, but may be tempted with live brine or glass shrimp.

Please keep us posted on him, I always wanted to get one of these guys... I just assumed it was a fish that should just stay in the ocean... (Some stores sell fish that just should not be in captivity).

I think he looks very healthy... Did the a-hole at the store tell you guys if he was eating successfully or not? I would offer more than just silver sides.

This guy also gets pretty big well over a foot long...

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Keep in mind that they are "messy" eaters and their "by-product" has the potential to really cause a stink. Not only is this potentially a "Long Fish" but you can't accurately calculate it's "Bio-Load" by the "Inch per gallon" rule because of their eating habits. Honestly this one I would easily DOUBLE it's length if not more. This fish would go well in a "species specific" type of tank. Also keep in mind they are noted to prefer and "fare better" in a more dimly lit tank. Probably not how I would describe a Reef Tank.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
T....but keep in mind they will prolly just sell it to another unsuspecting reefer....
You're correct. That in itself is part of the problem.... these "harvesters" will continue to collect and offer these in this hobby as long as there is a "market" for them. The store knows this is one of those "Impulse" items and he probably doesn't want it back in his store. Remember as long as it's in his stock he's "paying rent" on it (support and feeding cost $$). I would LOVE to see that he takes it back but seriously doubt it. This would make me offer "advice" to anyone else who may be purchasing for the tank..... "Ask me FIRST before even considering anything for my tank!"

Good luck and keep us posted! I'd LOVE to check back and hear HAPPY news :)

wazzifam

damm stores... they wont take him back. said no returns on LS. Well I wont be going back there! He just told me the bioload from him is lite! LOL Because he eats only 2x a week. Rescaping is already done.

He has alot more room than was in the tank when I left that morning thats for sure. Talk about house cleaning... LOL:dance:
100_53391.jpg

everything has been pushed to the back. rocks restacked opened up the floor. he made a cave under the rocks to hide in. but hes very friendly, he comes to the front as soon as he sees someone, and comes up to the top of the water to stick his trunk and head out. I'll get some pics, since im gonna have to figure out how to keep him.

that being said, I have already lost some of the stock. hes eatting snails, and appartently he teased my fire fish into his mouth. He has this like hook with food on it that comes out from below his trunk. right in front of his mouth, to lure the fish to him then he opens his mouth and draws in enourmous amounts of water with the fish caught in the flow. Amazing, but I feel like crap.... gotta get the other tank going and but FAST!!

Stuck between a rock and a live walking batfish place.

Last edited:

naperenterprise

Yeah... That was my direction in re-scaping her tank... I figured for the best interest in keeping the fish alive, its a good thing the fish owner is a member of RS.

Probably the best way to keep the poor guy alive and healthy is to help Kim adjust her tank a bit... without hurting any of the other inhabitants...

lcstorc

Also keep in mind they like low light and even in the big tank your other livestock will be at risk.
I think I would be tempted to set the new tank up as the main reef and keep the 55 for just this guy for as long as it is reasonable. Not sure what you could do with him then. Any public aquariums or colleges with marine biology departments that might want him? I've had success donating some unwise purchases.

naperenterprise

So you saw him eat? Or guessing? Thats good news...
I feel bad if you lost a nice fish as a meal, yikes...

You dont seem to have anything aggressive in your tank, so his stress level should be pretty good.

Just keep in mind he has a slow metabolism, so make sure you see him eat. Good job making a little more room...

naperenterprise

Great idea Lynn about the 55 being his home...

Also keep in mind they like low light and even in the big tank your other livestock will be at risk.
I think I would be tempted to set the new tank up as the main reef and keep the 55 for just this guy for as long as it is reasonable. Not sure what you could do with him then. Any public aquariums or colleges with marine biology departments that might want him? I've had success donating some unwise purchases.

lcstorc

Well it won't work long term because he just gets too big but it looks like he is pretty small for now so it should work for a couple of years while something else is worked out.

wazzifam

Re: ugghhhhh Dang Kids Help for Walking batfish

FRUSTRATING!! to say the least. Hes gonna have to stay here. I will have to keep a close eye on things and adjust to this. Son is in time out from any and all fishstores and purchasing!!

Im intrigued by this but didnt think in a million years that I would end up with anything like this. But now Because they wont take it back and I dont wanna throw it to the ocean, i'll get the other tank up a little more quickly. Alot more quickly, Hes growing 0n me. Talk about Personality!!
thanks for not sending the fish police to my house yet!
You mentioned bioload, funny thing is I took camera in for more pics. got some really cool shots and video! one of the pics was of him taking a dump. nice timing Kim... here is an example of the size of the load, I manually removed it from tank as not to create warfare yet!
100_5344.jpg

check out the video. im uploading it now and will post the links in a few.
There is not alot of info that I can find. any links you have are appreciated so I can learn as much as poss. quickly!
What should I be testing and watching for to stop nuclear reaction? lol

test results are as follows. before addition of fish. and b4 water change.
salinity 1.026
PHG 8.3
ammonia 0
Nitrate 1.0
Nitrite 0
Phosphate 1.0
Calcium 480

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
As for testing.. just the usual things but you're already doing them. Just keep an eye out and even better CHART your results so you can SEE things changing.

wazzifam

here are some cool shots of him. He is only 12" right now, but you can see what a monster he is next to the scooter I have. The snake/convict I have is as long as the batfish.

I did not see him eat at the store. Ahole at store told son he ate on Friday, he tried to feed him but the fish wouldnt bite. today hes gonna be looking for food so im off to Jacks Bait N Tackle to get some silversides for him.
any other ideas what to try to feed him without overfeeding the tank

BigAl you said hes a messy eatter... Define that please. thought he just sucked it in and swallowed it? you got more info?

Thanks to all that are being supportive here. All info is apprecaited and will be im sure neverending here! I have to have alot more info.

Ps... and looking in the hills of West Virginia for the biggest lump of coal for stocking! gonna send son on scavenger hunt to your area to pick his stocking up. ROAD TRIP!

Look at the personality this guy has.
100_5340.jpg

Kiss me you fool
100_5341.jpg

100_5342.jpg

wazzifam

Missing most important answer.

Popeye... has Popeye again. I have maracyn plus antibacteria for mouth fungus, popeye, dropsy, and ulcers,

Again... NO QT tank.. Now send the fish police.

Is this product reef safe? Can or Should I use it in the whole tank? will it hurt my corals. :stars:

:apint: :apint: :apint: :apint: :apint: :apint: Drive a woman to drink and she cant have just one!