Two Flame Angels

Pat24601

So, I've been scouring my various LFS for a Flame Angel I like the coloration of. They are VERY popular at my main LFS and basically for about a month or two now anytime I go there they sold out of their entire shipment or what's left over are the picked over B grade specimens.

So, I went to a different LFS that is less popular for saltwater (but still good). They had not one, but TWO Flame Angels I liked the coloration of.

I was trying to choose between the two and the owner said, why not do both? She has had good experience with two flame angels.

I trust her opinion, but what do you all think?

Right now, I actually have them both in my QT (which is really a nano I have set up. It has live rock and everything. It's a legitimate tank all by itself, just a bit smaller).

I'm going to watch their behavior in the tank, but is this headed for trouble or a good idea?

I'm happy to return one if it starts to look like trouble.

Oxylebius

Did you ask the lfs how long they were together in the tank before you bought them?

Be aware that the smaller the tank the more likely of fighting due to lack of space. So, behavior seen in a nano may not be indicative of behavior when more space is provided.

Oxylebius

With you line up of fish have you put thought into any coral that may be compatible with these species? Will you chance some species of corals with them?

Pat24601

Did you ask the lfs how long they were together in the tank before you bought them?

Be aware that the smaller the tank the more likely of fighting due to lack of space. So, behavior seen in a nano may not be indicative of behavior when more space is provided.

This is a great point. It was actually one of my concerns with keeping them in a nano. I actually could set a second tank for QT purposes if they start fighting? Maybe?

This is really way beyond my experience level. I was only going to do one angel of any kind to reduce chances of aggression. So, any tips are appreciated. :)

Pat24601

With you line up of fish have you put thought into any coral that may be compatible with these species? Will you chance some species of corals with them?

Right now it's just a FOWLR. The flame angel is my last planned non-reef friendly fish. (I may or may not add a goby or midas blenny or something after this). I'm getting pretty close to done, I think, though. Plus or minus anything opportunistic that happens, but this is pretty much my plan.

So, after I get the flame angel in there, I was actually going to try some LPS and softies and see how it goes. If the corals become lunch. Well, I know that didn't work. :)

Any thoughts?

Oxylebius

Yes, look up butterflyfish-coral compatibility articles before you buy corals and do the same for the angels. And my suggestion is to find articles that tell you what the fish eats in the wild, look for terms like obligate corallivores and if the fish feeds primarily on coral polyps. Some feed on small inverts, plankton or algae. There are folks who have been able to successfully keep butterflies and angels with corals. The larger the coral the more likely to survive where small frags may be picked to death. Maybe grow out the corals in your nano before placing in the DT.