TV show - Tanked

Hey all,

So what got me into getting a SW aquarium!!
Well although from a young kid, I remember my dad keeping his various marine aquariums, last year I started watching Tanked on the tele. I personally thought it was amazing and made me want to try it, although I decided for a full reef tank :)

I’m guessing the majority of people on here are from the USA and I just wanted to see what your thoughts are on the program? As it’s very popular in the UK

DaveK

I've seen the program a few times, but not recently. In my opinion, they set up tanks the might look nice to non-aquarist people. However, to anyone seriously involved in the hobby, the tanks are at best only fair, and most fall far short of anything you would see on any good aquarium forum. For example most of the SW tanks are fish only with fake corals. The tanks do tend to be large, and I think over hyped. The other thing I'd like to see is a follow up and see what all these tanks look like after a year.

Anyone that puts the time and effort into a reef system or any other aquarium system can actually have something that is much better looking than anything you'll see on the program. You may not match the size, but you can have something to really be proud of.

Totally agree Dave,

I’ve not long set up my first reef aquarium and it’s only 135 Ltrs And involves a fair bit of maintenance, so I was wondering how the hell they maintained some of those tanks lol.

I appreciate the planning and build must go on for months and edited for the tele to make it look quicker, but I’ve not seen any return shows to see how they are doing after a few months.

emvanburen

I️ think the show is entertaining and has lots of artificial drama. I️ don’t view it as a how-to. To wit, they dump all the fish in for the reveal. My understand is that after that, the owner is supposed to work with the local maintenance company (not seen) and properly build up the bioload. Hopefully people who think it’s real and try and start a tank get the right instruction first...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk