Tunze protein skimmers?

Tarasco

Anyone have any experience with these guys? I was looking around and saw that the Comline series has a really small footprint. This may be useful for me. Just wondering if anyone has any info.

Click here for more info

mwrager

I own the 230/3 skimmer, its an OK skimmer. The problem is the water level has to stay constant. So you have to have some way of replacing the evaporation from you sump. I have the auto top off from Tunze.

mps9506

Tunze is coming out with some new skimmers at some point (maybe this year, I dunno). Should be much better than what they have now.
What type of size are you looking for?

Tarasco

I was loking at the 3130/2 or 3140/2. I'd heard about the need for the water level to stay constant, but that won't be a problem in my sump, since it will be in a self-contained compartment where there will be not water evap (return pump is after some baffles, that's where the water will evap from). I was specifically looking at these cuz they have a small footprint.

One question that I have on the marinedepot site is what the difference is between the "dimensions" and the "built in depth". I don't get what the built in depth is.

I've also seen something about "mounting" with reference to the Comlines. Does this mean it has to be mounted on the side? I can't just stick it in the sump?

mps9506

I have never used a tunze comline before, but I think the mount with brackets to the rim of the aquarium. Just about everything else they make mounts with the slide brackets to the side of the aquarium :D
Do you still have the 90 gallon aquarium?
I think an AquaC EV180 would fit your given space. I've never used one, and have no idea how they compare to a beckett or needle wheel skimmer.
I'm a huge fan of needlewheel and recirc skimmers, but couldn't find one big enough for your system that would fit that space unless you were willing to run an external skimmer.

Tarasco

Thanks Mike. Yeah, this is for the sump of the 90, I'm trying to get restarted, and I got a new acrylic sump with sections for a refugium and skimmer, but the skimmer section is pretty small. That's why I was thinking of the Tunze. Do you think that I could mount it on the baffle?

I'll also look into the AquaC.

mps9506

Probably, probably could sit it on an egg crate also.
I think the AquaC will give you better performance however.

Tarasco

All right, here is a link to the AquaC. Although it has a footprint of 6" by 9.2", I don't think that includes the pump. The Mag drive is 5 x 3.8. However you cut it, I don't think that'll fit. Am I right?

gussy

I have a Comline. It works great, but I hate the way that it mounts. Why couldn't they use suction cups like everybody else instead of some weird hook ups. It looks crooked when mounted.

gussy

With the tilted thing? I'll take it tomorrow and post it by tomorrow night.

By the way, I think that there is way to DIY the skimmer and attach suction cups...would void the warranty though.

gussy

Sorry this took me a while...

1429DSC_2115-med.jpg

1429DSC_2114-med.jpg

Tarasco

Thanks for the pics. I don't really see where it's tilted though. Is it because it has to fit around the eurobracing on the top of your tank?

gussy

If you look at the second picture...the one with the powerhead showing...you will notice that the powerhead is vertically straight while the skimmer is not. It is more noticable in real life than the picture. The problem is that only the top portion has a brace...that is how their units are equipped. I have thought about removing the base and then drilling holes for me to install suctions on the body. I don't think this will harm the equipment.

gussy

I hate it when everybody who looks at the tank asks..."What's that brown box?"

The only good thing about the Tunze is it is so quiet that I don't even know that it's on...and the way it works no copepods will get mushed.