Trying to find some EggCrate

I think i'm pronouncing this right. Does anyone know where I can purchase some Egg Crate sheets from? And is this really what they are called or is it something else? And what is it's real purpose?

Thanks

tektite

I found my eggcrate at Home Depot. You'll find it in the lighting section. There are several uses for it. My main use has been to place it on the bottom of my tank, so my rock won't directly contact the bottom. Others have used it for frag racks, dividers, tank lids, I'm sure there are other uses for it.

Thanks. I just called over to HD to find out how much a sheet was and they didn't have a clue what i was asking for. Do you think it could be called something else?

DrHank

They didn't know what I was talking about when I asked at Lowes either. It's actually a fluorescent lighting fixture insert. You'll find it where their other drop in lighting panels are located. You'll probably have to go look for yourself. They probably wouldn't know what you wanted if you asked for a bulkhead fitting either.

jgking21

I've asked a few different lowes, they don't carry it. Go to Home Depot in the lighting section, they have and it is fairly inexpensive.

tektite

I wasn't able to find it at Lowe's, I did find it at Home Depot though. And yes, no one ever knows what you're talking about :)

tektite

It's very easy to make it any shape you want. I used a pair of pliers and gently broke the plastic pieces around the shape I needed, makes it whatever size you need.

Clownfish518

Razorback
PREMIUM
Last time I bought some I asked where the eggcrate was and they said they didn't have it, so I asked them about ceiling panels, so the guy showed me where the drop ceiling panels were, and then I showed him what eggcrate was.

They do carry it; they may call it a light diffuser panel

DublD

Yup what he said.....light diffuser panel in the paneled lighting section. They won't know it by 'eggcrate'. I'm curious where that name came from. 'Eggcrate' seems like an extremely odd name for what it is. I wouldn't ship eggs in it at all. LOL :)

mantid

I went to Home Depot and asked for egg crate as well and they didnt know what I was talking about. I found it myself and sure enouph, on the little price tag sticker it said in bold letters "Egg Crate"!

SHMStrack

i know what you guys mean, being 17 nobody takes you seriously in a Home Depot store. when i asked for egg crate the guy laughed at me and then started joking about my "lack of knowledge" to his co-worker. needless to say i went and found it myself and i walked back though, looked at him and thought to myself... Dumb a**

BobBursek

Most of the HD employees are idiots!!, I go out to my bro's ranch in CA twice a year for a working vacation, you can not get anyone to do good work right done out there. So changing all his magnetic ballast out in the barn and riding arena to electronic and the tubes to T8s. Also in the kitchen, but has motion detectors to turn them on, well after changing the ballast on them they come on but not off via the motion detectors that have a timer if once on and no motion is detected, turns them off. So at a HD and looking at motion dedecters and sez on the cover info, "for magnetic ballast" asked the guy, on a Saturday, can I use this on electronic ballast, "Oh yes, I am an electrical contractor, and never had bad feed back from anyone who has bought them", my thought is if you are an electrical contractor why are you working at HD on a Saturday? So I get it home and open up the motion detector package and get into the instructions and in BOLD print, "will not work with electronic ballast"!!!!!!!!!!!!!