Tracking software?

Uslanja

Hi All! we are looking to use an Aquarium Maintenance / Tracking program. In lieu of creating one (I'd rather surf RS than work) does anyone know of or have experience with a good Reef Aquarium Maintenance program? Flipping back and forth through our log book isn't as high tech as we would like to achieve!

Uslanja

Hi Quentin! We've been trying some that we found on line but not exactly what we are looking for. We're willing to purchase but want to make sure they have the functionality that we are seeking. Something with charting capabilities might be nice, and the ability to import photos would be cool. I'll follow those links and check them out. Thanks!

Uslanja

Hey Quentin! That Reefnook looks kind of cool! Would like to have something like that local on my hard drive though. But I'm still over there checking it out. Thanks again!

QuentinB

Hey Quentin! That Reefnook looks kind of cool! Would like to have something like that local on my hard drive though. But I'm still over there checking it out. Thanks again!

Yeah, I figured you wanted something local, but I came across that a while ago, and I thought it was pretty neat. Started making my tank, but I kinda forgot about it. Maybe someday :D

jpsika08

Uslanja, I have been testing out last 30 minutes the AquariumLab Software (Link above post) I'm really liking it, you can download a demo version which gives you 30 day trial and costs 24.00 in case you like it.

Uslanja

Hi Juan! I actually downloaded and purchased Aquarium Lab 2011. It looked like a decent program, but I couldn't get it to run. The developer was real good about it though, quickly answered my email. We did not get it to run on our system so they gave me a refund. I'm currently checking out the Aquariogest site to learn more about their program. The screen shots look promising. Does anyone have any experience with the program?

jpsika08

What's your OS?

When I started mine I had a window shown up saying Index Missing or something like that, so what I did was press the right button over the Aquarium Lab startup icon and selected "Run as administrator", problem solved.

oakleyx

If you tell me what you guys want in the app, i can make a web based one. It shouldn't take too long.

GlassMunky

No love for the MAC useres :( i liked both those programs Juan put up but windows only. I did download the widget that tom linked to. I'm keepin an eye on this cause i too am tired of flipping through pages of handwritten notes......

jpsika08

I know what you mean, same problem here, I got the aquarium lab installed at my office computer which has win7, and at my house only mac, I will install the virtual windows on it though.

Uslanja

Good Morning All! I'm sitting in the kitchen looking west across our back field and the lake effect snow is coming in pretty good and a darn strong wind driving into every nook and cranny! Yea Haw! We will be quadding and blasting trails though the woods in a bit!! Ah, back to the matter at hand;

Hi Quentin! I like the looks of that web based app. but I prefer to have it local so that nothing ever gets lost.

Hi Tom! I installed the Widget Engine and gave the Nanoplanner a spin! Not bad but we're thinking we would like something more robust in data capture and charting. A fun little gizmo though! Thanks!!

Hi oakelyx! Great offer, but I'm not sure where to start, anyone?

Hi GlassMunky!

Hi Juan! I'll try the Aquarium Lab download again and try your suggestion. I wish the Aquariogest had a trial period. At 80.00$ I hate to waste money, but it does have some real nice looking features.

So, if "oakleyx" can make something that is web based; any ideas on what functionality would be desired? Any chance that RS might be interested for the site?

I'm thinking that;

* a db for water parameters is essential
* chart/graft ability to get a quick historical view of parameters
* a "notes" section for general observations, thoughts and reminders
* the ability to import specimen photos and record relevant info
* a calender with the ability to remind about maintenance and other required tasks

Anyone else have any other ideas?

jpsika08

Uslanja,
I have downloaded and purchased AquarioGest software, I'm really happy and impressed on the versatility it offers, with this I think you got complete control over your tank.

If you need any more info about it just ask away, take care.

Uslanja

Hi imsobored152! We found the reefcon links but when we tried to follow them they came up not found. Hi Juan! We actually reinstalled the Aquarium Lab and ran as administrator as you suggested and it does work. But now that you are checking out Aquariogest we are interested in learning more, but I have no idea what to ask about.

One of the things that we have been recording in our log book/journal is different formulas for changing or correcting our water parameters. For example we have discovered that one heaping tablespoon of Reef Crystal will raise the salinity in 4 gallons of change water approximately one point. And inversely 4 cups of RO water will lower the salinity in 4 gallons of change water approximately 1 point. And there are many other dosing formulas that we are compiling so as time goes by the list will get quite large. We would assume that there is a "notes" section in the program but is it robust enough to query by word search or would it be a read search? Is the program capable of placing photos into it and is there a file size limitation on the photo? Is the entire application kept local on your hard drive or is part of it web based? Is it possible to create our own data capture fields or are we limited to pre-configured templates? If we could create our own fields and tables as well as it being searchable like a regular db that would be very nice, but maybe too much to ask for! We're excited about your getting Aquariogest and looking forward to learning more. Sounds like it might be just we are looking for. What is it that you have discovered that you like about it?

Thanks
Dave

jpsika08

Let me try and do a review between today and tomorrow and I'll post it for you to study it, glad the AquariumLab worked for you, the only problem I could detect with it (at least from the little I used it) was that the monthly electric cost formula is wrong, the yearly and daily are correct, I already sent and email to them telling this so hopefully they will correct it.