Trachy placement

AJinNY

I had my trachy on a flat spot of live rock....the snail knocked it off onto the sandbed....

Is it ok to leave it there? Or does it have to be on rock?

mps9506

Trachyphillas with a cone shaped bottom should probably be left on the sand bed. If it is a flat ottomed or ragged bttom one then place somewhere on the rockwork. If you find a really good spot put a dab of epoxy putty under it to secure it in place.

davejnz

agreed,Most of them being sold as Wellsophyllia seems to have attachment scars on the bottom of skeleton.However,that genus has been eliminated and they are all called T.geoffroyi.They are adapted to living in the sand so dont worry to much about sand being stirred up on them.Loves to eat if offered.

ReefLady

Staff member
Agreed. I had a wellsophyllia/t. geoffryi and the sand was where it was happiest. And it did love the occasional feeding.

Out of curiosity AJ, I've noticed a couple questions regarding LPS corals. How are you supplementing calcium and alkalinity?

Just looking out for ya. :)

T

AJinNY

Hey Travis....

yes Im putting in additive for the calcium and alkalinity....I use the 2 part bionic stuff...I began adding it daily (10ml) then recently the guy at the lfs told me to cut back to just a few times a week.

I also put in 2.5 ml.....every two weeks...of strontium chloride and potassium iodide.

I bring in water samples to be tested and they say everythings fine....they said the calcium, though in the normal range, was on the high end, which is why they told me to cut back a little.

By the way, Karma to Travis for looking out for me. :)
And Karma to Mike (mps) who took an hour of his time online to talk me thru the acclimation process of a bunch of corals I got the other night. He definitely helped me avoid making similar mistakes I have made in the process previously. Now my stuff look great!!

Thanks everyone!

Alan