Totm

tnwillia

How would you do it Eddie? just a FTS or a full blown picture/written layout like other sites TOTM? Just wondering..... Thanks

redsea reefer

Tom - Just an FTS would be fine, no need to go full blown with pics and a written article.

It would also be judged in the same manner as the POTM contest.

I like the idea, but I don't think a monthly contest would work. I think there would be a ton of repeat winners and the entries would grow stale over time.

I believe that is why the mods decided upon a category a month. To give everyone, including new reefers, the opportunity to win.

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
I have to agree, if this was done it could only be once every 6 months or so, even then the same people are going to keep winning.

I don't feel this idea would work to well in all honesty but that's my opinion, lets see what others think.

redsea reefer

I like the idea, but I don't think a monthly contest would work. I think there would be a ton of repeat winners and the entries would grow stale over time.

I believe that is why the mods decided upon a category a month. To give everyone, including new reefers, the opportunity to win.

Good points Mike, I guess a category a month is more feasible...

tnwillia

Maybe monthly catagory and only allow a member to win each different catagory once a year?

Catagory possibilites......

Pico
Nano
Planted
FW
RSM
<100 gal
100-200
200-300
300+
Refugium

That should keep a few from dominating it.... maybe. Just throwing out possibilities.

Frankie

RS STAFF
Hmm... This is the second time this topic has been posted on the open forum since I have been here.
What about quarterly like ZEOvit.com does? I am not so sure there is a vote over there though. The aquarium is picked by the owner I think. It may be a moderator vote.
The quarterly idea is a good one because it gives time to do a write up.
Also making it a moderators desision will keep it from being a popularity vote but more of a quality vote.
Just tossing an idea out there.
Frank

antwan620

I think this is a really good idea, I always am up to date with the TOTM on RC because it has taught me a lot just by reading up on there set ups. Having that here would be really cool, and categories like this would ensure that there would not be the same winners always.

Maybe monthly catagory and only allow a member to win each different catagory once a year?

Catagory possibilites......

Pico
Nano
Planted
FW
RSM
<100 gal
100-200
200-300
300+
Refugium

That should keep a few from dominating it.... maybe. Just throwing out possibilities.

I think a lot of new reefers can only benefit from something like this by seeing the end result of what it takes to run an aquarium successfully, and incorporate it to their own aquarium.

Val

I'd be interested in seeing primo tanks, I don't think prizes would be necessary wouldn't it be an honor to be chosen. As long as I can enjoy seeing others hard work doesn't matter to me how it happens. Great idea redsea reefer

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
The easiest way to do this would be to host the POTM contest and do full tank shots, there wouldn't be a write up with all the details but atleast you would be able to see some show stoppers.

Val

There is another way other than a contest. Members (staff also) could nominate a tank to be considered for TotM and the staff could make the decision on whom's tank to highlight. It would be fairly simple that way.

It would be as easy as a pm to a mod to nominate. Of course if mods/staff are choosing whom to honor their tanks are ineligible. No prizes again just make it like a pat on the back for a job well done.

I was helping out on another site years ago and we did this to highlight members.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Terry (Reefmack) had one idea, I wanted to share - the POTM could be a Full Tank Picture, every now & then.

I think Woodstock (Doni) lets anyone pick the "subject" that would be willing to sponsor the monthly prize.

just brain-storming ideas...
fam05.gif

Lot's of good points have been made in this thread, I know Doni works hard at keeping up with our POTM.

redsea reefer

I'd be interested in seeing primo tanks, I don't think prizes would be necessary wouldn't it be an honor to be chosen. As long as I can enjoy seeing others hard work doesn't matter to me how it happens. Great idea redsea reefer

Thanks Val! My thoughts exactly, No need for prizes. Just having the TOTM title under your belt is a prize in itself.

Different categories would be nice also, maybe not as many as Tom mentioned. We can scale it down some like this below... Just suggestions..

Pico - 1-5g

Nano - 6-34g - including AIO, Planted and FW

Mini (if you think of a better one, name it :)) - 35 - 100g

Large - 100g+

I would think it would be better if members and staff chose the winner, that way staff can also participate in the TOTM.

We could do the categories in order as listed. For the first win, all tanks entered will be voted on and after that, the current winner will choose five tanks out of all entries for us to vote on to keep the clutter down when voting time comes on.

Val

I agree Woodstock does a fantastic job with POTM and I've noticed she even sponsors it when no one else does. Eric sponsers it alot also. Kudos to both and other sponsers.

A compromise may be to alternate between POTM and TOTM, that would allow for the best of both worlds and give the sponsers a break. Choose 6 tank catagories and that would keep the same person from winning consistantly. For example:

RSM tank
Fowlr tank
FW tank
Mini tank
Reef tank
Misc tank catagory - macro tank, frag tank or fuge

Of course the catagories can be played with.