Too much rock?

I was just wondering if one can have too much rock. I have a 90g with about 200lbs of rock waiting to be put in. I just dont want to over do it.

That should be fine if you feel like it looks too much put some in you refugium. It's a good bio filter better to have too much than too litle.

Yeah i was thinking you cant have too much but i wanted to be safe and ask. I got a GREAT deal on the rock from a semi LFS (.99/LBS). So i went a little crazy

lcstorc

I don't think you can have too much LR other than for appearance and flow issues. If it is dense rock, it will weigh more while having less room for the biological filter to populate.

LPS_Blasto

I agree with above comments. Different types of rock have different density. 200 pounds might not even fill the tank, depending on the rock density.

200 pounds of lace rock would be coming out the top of the tank. It's pretty light.

You can always take some out later. I started out with 2 pounds per gallon and after 1yr I took out about 10 pounds over the course of 3 months. Just removed a small piece and waited a few weeks. Then removed another piece and waited a few more weeks.......... and so on.

Well i scapped the lace rock that i bought and think i finally decided on this. Ill be adding smaller pieces of LR to seed everything. What do you guys/gays think?

DSCN0425.jpg

DSCN0423.jpg

DSCN0424.jpg

jgking21

Are you putting the eggcrate under the rock in the tank? You may want to cut back the areas that rock won't touch it, that way any diggers won't be bothered by it. Just my 2 cents.

Are you putting the eggcrate under the rock in the tank? You may want to cut back the areas that rock won't touch it, that way any diggers won't be bothered by it. Just my 2 cents.

well i bought the eggcrate beacuse i was at homedepot and.. well i saw it so bought it. I knew i would use it for something, that something, i dont know. Wasnt planning on doing that but now that you mention it i might! Thanks!

rmlevasseur

What kind of rock is that? When I see dark rock, I get worried about minerals dissolving. Most base rock I see has a calcium carbonate base, which tends to be whitish.

Its Hawaiian rock, It was sitting in a 55g drum with airstone and circulating pump. I let it dry out as i dont want any type of hitchhikers when i put them in my tank for cycle.

jgking21

1ofManyNguyens, you can see what I did on the first page of my 54 build, just use the link in my signature. I have the rocks on a table and you can see how I cut it. Before it went into the tank I actually cut it back more. I like using the eggcrate to get alittle more height from the rocks, I used 2 pieces. Otherwise you just have you sandbed covering the bottom of the rock.

Well i bought (2) 2'x4' peices of eggcrate knowing i would use it for something! I took a peek at what you did and ill probably be doing the same. But i might try to use small squares of eggcrate to raise the pieces of rock that will be touching the floor. (idk if that makes since, im really tired so in my head it does)
It will be like little legs for the rock? i guess what im saying is there will be the least amount of eggcrate under the rock.

It was a warehouse in Chino. They are closing and moving to a retail store location. I think this is the last week they will be selling to the public before the move.

burning2nd

looks good,

no such thing as to much...

your choice, if you want to look at rock,
Remember the plumbing can always go to bigger vats or Lr,