Tok's RSM 250

Tokalosh

What's the name of the gorgonia Tok?
Been looking at them myself but can never find a photosynthetic one

Matt

Hi Matt

I to had been looking for one for quite some time at a reasonable price.
They are not easy to find but my luck changed and now I have one.

This was sold to me as a Silver photosynthetic gorgonia and cost £20.
It is in fact silver but looks pink in my tank because of the Red Sea Reef Spec pink tube I have.

Tok

gmckay

Is that a pump connected to the RO feed on the floor? Our water pressure is 60 PSI from the city feed so there was no need to boost pressure. I suspect that is why your initial set up was slow.

I'm wondering why you didn't consider DI resin as your final stage?

Tokalosh

Is that a pump connected to the RO feed on the floor? Our water pressure is 60 PSI from the city feed so there was no need to boost pressure. I suspect that is why your initial set up was slow.

I'm wondering why you didn't consider DI resin as your final stage?

Hi gmckay

The pump is connected to the RO feed and boots the pressure from 60 to 90 psi. The old unit was the same (60 psi) but due to the membrane I was using it seemed like 30 psi. I then later add a DI resin stage which made it even slower.

The new unit consists of the following a 150 gpd rated membrane a pre-filter, carbon filter and the last stage is the DI resin.

Tok

Tokalosh

I bought myself a veho Discovery microscope and took some footage of my green star polyps opening.

[video=youtube;eoSPw2uRD4g]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eoSPw2uRD4g[/video]

Its amazing how we dont see the small things in life.

Tok

Tokalosh

A few pics of the Vietnamese zoa colony I just picked up.
The colors are out of this world, I'm looking forward to them spreading.

_MG_4330_zps700de2ca.jpg

_MG_4329_zps043ba9f5.jpg

1301161439_0_zps893b96fb.jpg

Tok

Last edited:

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
BEAUTIFUL Tok! :snshne:
I'm going to get an RO set up. I just hate shopping around for something I barely know anything about & I'm NOT a DIY person. But I'm not liking the idea of toting water. I have 2 bathrooms where the shower heads NEVER get used at my house....my wheels are turning :spinner:

Tokalosh

Thanks DianaKay

Please tell me you haven't filled your tank up with tap water have you?? :)
Unfortunately carting water comes this hobby and there is no getting round it.

Tok

Last edited:

Tokalosh

Could someone please tell me what these are on my mushrooms?

_MG_4431_zps01767b8a.jpg

They seem to be getting bigger.

Thanks

Tok

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Great pic... if no one in the RSM club makes an id, try in this RS forum Reef Hitchhiker ID

I will be watching & learning too - new one to me

Researching... a bit, this may be the answer... see what others think

Mushroom Coral Reproduction
Coral Anemones have four forms of reproduction; budding, laceration, division or fission, and sexual reproduction. Asexual budding, laceration, and division are successful in the aquarium, as most hobbyists soon discover. It has been stated that the warmer end of their temperature spectrum encourages reproduction.

Budding: Here individuals are formed from particles divided off from the pedal disc. This is when the mushroom will allow a small piece of totipotent tissue to grow and form from the parent, which in turn becomes a new animal.
Laceration: Laceration happens when they move slowly over the surface and leave behind small pieces that will eventually form into mushrooms.
Division / Fission: Similar to budding, fission is where an individual divides down the center and forms two animals. They basically split themselves right in half at the mouth and will then wrap back around themselves to create 2 smaller versions within a few days.
Sexual reproduction: Sexual Reproduction is where eggs and sperm are released into the water column. They unite and form free-swimming larvae which are initially plankonic, and them settle and adhere to the substrate. Sexual reproduction has not been well documented, and has not been observed in captivity. Presumeably modern filtration methods are inhospitable to free swimming larvae.

Extract above ^ Mushroom Coral Information, Corallimorph Types of Mushrooms

Tokalosh

Glenn Thanks for the info, very much appreciated.

Over the last few years I have been manually dosing Ca, Mg and Alk.
This method has been a little hit and miss and more miss (forgetting) than hit.

So I bit the bullet and installed dosing pumps to eliminate the "Forgetting" factor.

_MG_4498_zps88e2a29c.jpg

IMG_4504_zpsf0583a4d.jpg

Thanks Jimbo for the help in getting this sorted.

Tok

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
I manually dose & think one reason my sps corals don't do as well as some is because I am not as precise as I should be, the dosing pump you added is a really nice one & great addition - well done, sweet setup !!!

Cheers Jimbo for the help !

Tokalosh

Thanks for the compliment Glenn, I'm well happy the way the installation turned out.

A few pictures of what the top end looks like for those who would like to do the same one day.
I'm using a piping clamp made by Bubble Magnus which fits like a glove in that compartment.

IMG_4509_zps36061f64.jpg

IMG_4511_zps37621c4f.jpg

IMG_4513_zps5deca2a1.jpg

as you can see I have color coded the lines to so I know what container they are coming from.

IMG_4512_zpsef00c451.jpg

Thanks for looking and comments welcome.

Tok

Ca: 400 ppm
KH: 8.5 dKH
Mg: 1.400 ppm
Temp: 25'c
NO3: 1ppm
pH: 8.3
NO4: 0.12 ppm
SG: 1.026 ppm

sawcjack00

Wow Tok, I just read this entire thread. Quite an ongoing journey you've been through! The tank looks fantastic - GREAT job!

Tokalosh

Tok,

Any luck figuring out what the growths were on your mushrooms? Are they reproducing through budding?

From what I've witnessed it is the way the shroom propagates.

Hi T,

Guess the UPS supply electricty to MPs how many hours UPS does its job ?

Brgds

Indeed it will, once I have connected it to the DC side of the MP10's. Up and coming project.

Wow Tok, I just read this entire thread. Quite an ongoing journey you've been through! The tank looks fantastic - GREAT job!

Thanks swacjack00 very much appreciated.

No worries RE the doser buddy...Just remember you need to put my temp controller together :lol:

Just drop it round Jimbo and I'll get on it.

Tok

theplantman

If your shrooms are propagating in that manner you have a pretty healthy system, congrats. From the reading I have done they are notoriously slow to propagate like that in the wild.

Tokalosh

If your shrooms are propagating in that manner you have a pretty healthy system, congrats. From the reading I have done they are notoriously slow to propagate like that in the wild.

Mike, I can't tell you how happy that makes me feel.
I first thought that they split, but over the last two months more and more of those tumors appeared and more and more shrooms appeared at the back of the tank.

They are notorious eaters, taking mysis shrimp at least once a week.

Thanks

Tok