Tok's RSM 250

catran

Good luck with your sick Tang! I hope everything goes well with the treatments. BTW, very pretty tank and livestock!

imaccat

Blue Tang with what looks like small tiny little worms protruding out of his skin.

Tok

If they are tiny worms then that doesn't sound like white spot to me. I hope you sort it out, it might be worth posting in the fish disease forum.

GregT

Hi Tok

Can you post a pic of your Blue Tang?
I had a similar problem years back with a Blue Tang that appeared to have fluffy white spots/white powdery film on it, that then seemed to change to black spots which could have been worms (I couldn't tell). I treated with a very large water change and vaccuumed my sandbed. The problem eventually disappeared. It didn't affect any of my other fish and the Blue Tang lived for years 'til I sold him.

Good luck
Greg

Tokalosh

White Spot Update:

After I ran the first course of treatment I thought I had finally conquered it.

But this morning it was back, but not as severe. This is one relentless disease and it is starting to piss me off. :mad:

I tried to take pics of the tang but could not get him to pose for me. The Oodinex seems to work better if I treat the tank at night when the lights are off, so I’m going to run a second course and only treat the tank at night and run the skimmer during the day.
My hard corals were not too happy towards the end of the first course and I was not happy leaving the skimmer off for 5 days. It’s strange that none of the other fish do not have any white spots on them but occasionally try and rub there gills against rocks.

The only thing I have lost up until now is one of my cleaner shrimp, but if this was due to the medication or old age (4 years old) I’ll never know.

All my water parameters are spot on and all the fish are still eating like pigs.

Tok

Davieboy

Hi Tok,

I've been reading your thread about your possible whitespot problem.

A few years ago my yellow tang got whitespot and I got recommended "Aquamedic Exodin".

It's also very good for Oodinium.

After 3 days of treating my reef tank there was a big difference in my tang. It was totally cleared after 7 days.

I still have the tang in my tank.

But... when using exodin, it can drop your ph in the tank. I used to buff my tank straight after I dosed the tank.

I don't know how you would feel about changing over to another treatment. But thought I would let you know about it anyway.

Good luck! Hope things work out.

Davie

Tokalosh

White Spot Update:

I WIN!!!

:thumber:

This is how I did it. After the first treatment nothing seemed to change much.

Then after speaking to my LFS it was suggested that for good results I should apply heavy doses of Oodinex. So I did a water change and let the tank recoup for a few days.
I them removed all the carbon and only dosed at night for three consecutive nights. I used very strong doses, 64 drops per dose and left the skimmer off at night. During the day the skimmer was turned back on and the fish were fed as normal.

My Tang is now white spot free and none of the other fish are trying to rub against rocks.

BIG sigh…….. Am I glad that is over?

All my corals are looking good except for my hammerhead which looks as if I just bought it and it needs to acclimatise. I do hope that it makes a full recovery as it was one of my best looking corals in my tank.

Davie thanks for the advice, if the white spot should return I’d like to give your recommendations a go.

Thanks

Tok

GregT

Well done Tok. I wasn't sure if the Oodinex would affect your bacteria in your live rock?
cheers

Tokalosh

White Spot Update:

I WIN!!!

:thumber:

I LOSE!!!!

:mad:

Yup you read it correctly “I LOSE!” or did I?

I thought I had beaten this dreaded white spot and all my troubles were over.

Not a chance, after the fourth week of dosing the tank with Oodenix and when that did not work I dosed a new course with Exodin. After a while my corals started to take a serious hammering and the white spot was as prolific as ever. I lost my Dot Dash and Royal Gamma and the rest of the fish were looking terrible.

Enough is enough so I decided to draw the line somewhere!

Carry on dosing to save the fish and lose the corals or save the corals and lose the fish?

The way I figured it was that my corals were too expensive to lose and only the survival of the fittest will live.

I stopped dosing the tank and set about trying to save what I could. I did a 50% water change, reinstated the skimmer and added 500ml of Seachem Seagel and sat back and hoped for the best.

Towards the end of the week I had lost my three Goldie’s and Mandarin, but the corals were starting to make a comeback. After losing one of my cleaner shrimp I was only left with one who had forgotten what he was supposed to be doing in my tank. Off to my LFS I went to get two more for the tank.

The two new cleaner shrimp have not stopped fondling the remainder of my fish since I introduced them to the tank and have had a massive impact on the health of the fish.

I has been about four weeks since I stopped dosing the tank and there has been no sign of any white spot. I have not lost any more fish and the tank is looking a lot better than it did six weeks ago.

My tank is finally starting to look healthy once again and I’m looking forward to replacing the fish I lost in the next few weeks to come.

So could someone please tell me where the white spot has disapeard to?

Tok

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Sorry about the losses, but good to hear that things are improving. No idea where the ich went. Maybe the previous treatments wiped out what was left.

Robzilla

Sorry for the losses. It may not have gone away and could just be in part of its life cycle. I would wait on adding more fish and monitor closely the ones that you still have for a while.

Tokalosh

Hello All...

It has been 8 week give or take since my last update. The Tank has made a full recovery and is doing well.
My angel started to take a liking to my corals so I had to find her a new home. I've started to add a few more fish very slowly and have been doing my homework this time round. I also invested in a Vortech MP10 and I love this pump, what a great piece of technology.

Here are some pics enjoy......

IMG_1194.jpg

IMG_1197.jpg

IMG_1199.jpg

IMG_1202.jpg

IMG_1205.jpg

IMG_1209.jpg

IMG_1210.jpg

Thanks for looking
Tok

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Tanks looking really great !

Sorry to hear... the angel started to take a liking to corals had to be re-homed, I have read several post like that...