To Sterilize or NOT to Sterilize?

To run UV or not?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

JP 1230

It seems that from the research I've done..... and from all past experience - I'm left hanging on the fence about UV Sterilization.....
I know that bulb wattage and flow rate are key factors in the sterilization or polishing process. I know I have (and have seen plenty of others) have great success with and without UV. I know that UV does create noticeably more clear water. I understand that anything valuable that gets fried or sterilized is re-achievable via other means.....but......

Does running a UV sterilizer actually help or slowly hurt a healthy system? It seems to me that some of the micro-bacteria and organisms ruined by UV may actually be a beneficial part of the ecosystem.

What are your thoughts?

Creekview

I don't believe in the use of UV sterilizers, have never used them. I like to run dirty water with lots of life in it.

DaveK

In a reef system it's usually best to run UV only if your using it to solve a specific problem. Some of the problems UV can really help are green water from an algae bloom and bacteria blooms. UV can also help in a LFS where multiple SW tanks are filltered through a common syste. In that case very powerful UV is used to prevent diseases from passing between tanks.

Unless you have such problems, leave off the UV.

I've got great results with one. I just remember how must of a pain it was to set up and stuff. This was before before i even had a sump tho... Still it's good to have one like Dave said only if your using it to solve a specific problem.. I dont really see it being that very worth it for me anyway.. Just don't get the crap coralife one i had atleast haha..

ziggy

read pleanty on the subject.

Consensis is it's not worth the negative effects unless you have 2 conditions...
1) overloading the bio load with too many fish, critters etc
2) tend to overfeed

You mention UV effect on a health aquarium... I would think a healty environment does not have the 2 above conditions so it's not worth the heat, electricity, repeat maintenance etc.

JP 1230

Thanks everyone! I've always had a thought in the back of my mind (when listening to people who swear by them) that the added water clarity with UV in a reef system wasn't always necessarily a great thing.

I've had over 10 years of mostly success with never using one....so why start now. I had acquired one I was considering running in its own loop on my 100g just to experiment.