tide pools

Gumby

Several years ago, my lfs made a tide pool of sorts as a showpiece. It was approx 5ft long, sand high an dry on one end and water with sand low at the other end. He had some interesting fish (including a pair of sunburst anthius), crabs, etc. and every minute or so, the pumps would kick and the water would roll on "fake" beach (which was about 6" or so in length). It was real interesting and reading this thread made me think about it. All in all the water was about 6-8" deep at the low and 8-10" when the water was rolling.

l3fty999

Several years ago, my lfs made a tide pool of sorts as a showpiece. It was approx 5ft long, sand high an dry on one end and water with sand low at the other end. He had some interesting fish (including a pair of sunburst anthius), crabs, etc. and every minute or so, the pumps would kick and the water would roll on "fake" beach (which was about 6" or so in length). It was real interesting and reading this thread made me think about it. All in all the water was about 6-8" deep at the low and 8-10" when the water was rolling.

Well, I myself was kinda hoping that somebody was attempting to duplicate an actual tidepool... has anyone here actually done that? That's another part of our hobby that I think does not get near enough attention. I am within driving distance of ocean beaches in my area and collecting specimens to create a "native" tidepool is very possible. I've been thinking about this ever since I went to Oregonreef.com and looked at his cold water marine setup. If I had space, (all taken up by my reef) I might look into something like this, I mean, it's within reach for at least a few of us, and the equipment's there. Just something to think about.

Take care
Aaron