Thinking of getting a new dog

surfzone

As of late I have been giving a new dog some thought and have narrowed my search to three breeds

redbone coonhound
black and tan coonhound
german shorthaired pointer.

ReefLady

Staff member
Not sure what you are looking for in terms of temperment, etc., but we have friends who have a German shorthair, and it is the sweetest (and smartest) dog I ever met. Perfect family dog.
Of course, my yellow labs are the sweetest, but they're far from the smartest. ;-)

Rue

I like the coonhounds...but you might find them a little too 'scent-oriented'. They'll wander off if they smell something interesting and tune you right out.

The GSHP might be a better family dog. It's not quite as scent-oriented...

showpup

Nothing better than coonhounds! :)

We raise, train and exhibit coonhounds. We have black/tans and redbones (and two english redticks). They are wonderful family dogs. Their desire to please is strong. They do like to scent so do require a fenced in yard but I believe strongly that ALL dogs require a fenced in yard to protect them from harm.

If you have specific questions about coonhounds, I'd be more than happy to try and answer. We've been coonhound fanciers for 3 generations.

tinkertoy_face_redbone_12wks.jpg

lcstorc

Such a face.
I'm a fan of the rescue dogs so can't really help with this one. Just had to comment on the expression.

ReefLady

Staff member
I'm a fan of the rescue dogs so can't really help

Same here... M two Yellow Labs (not purebred) - Mason & Dixon came from a kill shelter in Alabama. They were Katrina pups. We were only looking for one dog, but didn't have the heart to separate them - they had been through some much together.
We've had them a little over two years now, and they are the most mild-mannered, obedient, awesome dogs. You really feel like they "appreciate" their new home. :)

surfzone

Well I am a Big hunter of Quail, and raccoons so that is why my list is the way it is. I live on just shy of an acer of land. my brother has a pott hound mix named cooper, the sweetest dog i have ever encountered, however he is a bit hard headed. I know all three are great family dogs, and well the Pointer will be better when it comes to listening however the coon hound would be better when it comes to coon hunting.

NonamisMomi

Nothing better than coonhounds! :)

We raise, train and exhibit coonhounds. We have black/tans and redbones (and two english redticks). They are wonderful family dogs. Their desire to please is strong. They do like to scent so do require a fenced in yard but I believe strongly that ALL dogs require a fenced in yard to protect them from harm.

If you have specific questions about coonhounds, I'd be more than happy to try and answer. We've been coonhound fanciers for 3 generations.

tinkertoy_face_redbone_12wks.jpg

oh man, i want this dogs face!

cindyp

Rotti all the way they are the smartest most awesome dogs on the planet I always had labs and thought wow what a smart dog but my 9 month old 120lb rotti blows them outa water.he's the only dog that can really problem solve he can open any door in the house it cracks me up so now if I need him to stay out I have to lock the doors here's his mug shot oh plus no one steals gas out of the motorhome anymore!! :surrender:
DSC00089.jpg

NonamisMomi

well, it's a known fact that golden retrievers at the best family dogs. theyre smart and loving.

IMO, saint bernards and brussel griffons are the best dogs you can own.......

but please please please don't get your dog from a pet store or a breeder. There are so many homeless dogs that need help first!

surfzone

it's illegal for a pet store in South Carolina to sell puppies. A breeder would be nice, but i have friends who have all three typs that i'm looking at. they breed their dogs every once in a while so it's a matter of when and me making a dicision. I'm not agenst the shelter dogs it's a pure fact of function. a shelter dog has a sketchy past and i'm looking for a dog that i can get in the woods to follow a sent from a particular animal and i don't feel that a shelter dog can do that.

NonamisMomi

it's all in how you raise it.... :)

and that's really awesome that it's illegal in south carolina. i didn't know that. it should be that way all over the US.

Stacef

Red Bone Coonhound for SURE!

I had one, Her name was Maggie. She was a rescue, and is the smartest dog I have known. After dropping her stubborness level, she was willing to learn new tricks and commands. She was 100% trained with silent commands (hand signals). I will dig up some pictures of her :)

Good luck, let us know what you decide.

Oh yeah--are you using the dog for hunting?

cindyp

when you hear the word coon or hound all I hear is wooooof wooooof awoooooo woooooof excessive howling.I had a beagle that never shut up !!!
:LOL:

surfzone

my brother's plott hound is the same way. his hunting instinct is strong, an everyone in the neighborhood knows when he's got a squirrel or raccoon up a tree in the back yard.

mps9506

it's illegal for a pet store in South Carolina to sell puppies. A breeder would be nice, but i have friends who have all three typs that i'm looking at. they breed their dogs every once in a while so it's a matter of when and me making a dicision. I'm not agenst the shelter dogs it's a pure fact of function. a shelter dog has a sketchy past and i'm looking for a dog that i can get in the woods to follow a sent from a particular animal and i don't feel that a shelter dog can do that.

Weird, When I was working in the industry there were plenty of stores in SC that sold dogs (A year ago). Unfortunately I can say without any doubt all of them were puppy mill dogs. I had about 50 pet store accounts in SC, I think about 4 of them sold dogs including a Petland.
I can also tell ya for a fact not all rescue dogs need to come from a sketchy past. I've had the pleasure of working with a few dog rescue groups in SE NC and every year they all get youg dogs and puppies that are abandonded with no history. And with the popularity of hunting in this area we find tons of Walker Hounds, Plots, Labs, Beagles, and other hunting dog breeds that are no more than 8-10 weeks old. Always keep a look out for the breed rescue groups, most of them foster and can tell you a lot about the dogs befor you even look at them.
That said if you are set on a breeder make sure it is one that tests for cogential defects, and presells the dogs before they are breed for. Plenty of links on the web about finding a good breeder.
Personally I like my lab rescue. Except he dumps pounds of hair in the house. :)