There's a new "tank" Sheriff in town - FLIPPER

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Sounds like TONS of positives to this thing.

As pretty much any product, there just has to be some type of negative. Anyone know of any yet? (I'm likely to order one this week anyway, its only $20! I spend more on lunch every day. lol)

I've not heard any yet and of course I've not come across any yet using mine but with my current tank dosing regiment I don't really have to clean the glass but about 1x a month.

mine either. i just get stuff on the glass every week, and coraline spots on the glass get attacked pretty quickly, but the big bowfront is kinda hard to clean sometimes with a regular mag float.
I'm anxious to hear exactly how it does on your Bowfront. Post back here and let us know either way.

PIMPALA

I have a regular mag float (large) right now, that I bought some of those interchangeable blades for the newer mag floats... and I just superglued it to the old mag float. lol.

it actually works pretty good! but the blade is cheap, flimsy, and wears out quickly. plus, i hate the inside "scrubber" part of the mag floats, and with the scraper attached, i had to raise it from horizontal just a little bit, so now the front part of the scrubber doesnt scratch the glass (putting maximum leverage on the blade) so I really in effect need to have 2 mag floats in the tank.

the corner tank with the REALLY curved glass is a different story all together.

Wave Rider

I have a regular mag float (large) right now, that I bought some of those interchangeable blades for the newer mag floats... and I just superglued it to the old mag float. lol.

it actually works pretty good! but the blade is cheap, flimsy, and wears out quickly. plus, i hate the inside "scrubber" part of the mag floats, and with the scraper attached, i had to raise it from horizontal just a little bit, so now the front part of the scrubber doesnt scratch the glass (putting maximum leverage on the blade) so I really in effect need to have 2 mag floats in the tank.

the corner tank with the REALLY curved glass is a different story all together.

I have curved corners in my Fluval Osaka and the Flipper scraper works like a charm. You just need to keep it horizontal.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I have curved corners in my Fluval Osaka and the Flipper scraper works like a charm. You just need to keep it horizontal.

I thought you had a Goldfish Bowl? :LOL:

My RSM130D has curved corners and it works well. Ditto re: keeping it horizontal.

Noel102284

Just got mine in yesterday. I had some regular daily glass cleaning to do, nothing crazy, and it was great. Took everything off easily. Works great on the bowfront. I try to use it horizontally so that I am 100% sure that the corners won't scratch my glass, but thats just me. I need to wait till some coralline or tougher algae shows up on my front glass to really test this thing out. The "Flip" takes some practice but its better than sticking half of my body in the tank to get all the way down to bottom. I will let you know as soon as I have to clean something a little more challenging. works.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Thanks for the update Noel. After a couple of uses the "Flip" will be second nature. You're exactly right it's better than getting wet :)

ChrisY

Waiting on mine to arrive. I expect it should be any day now.

Can someone explain this horizontal thing. I am not sure I am getting it.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Chris if you have a curved glass corner you want to address the curve with the Flipper horizontal (the blade perpendicular) keeping things flat. Once yours arrives you'll understand immediately.

ChrisY

Like the corners of my RSM? Do you mena the blade is horizontal? Seems to em that for the corners if the blade were veritcal out would glide in better. Maybe I am just not getting it till I have it in my hands and have the aha moment. :)

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Flipper will be horizontal and the actual blade vertical making the corners easy to keep clean. I did my corners last night and both of them took about 90 seconds.

ChrisY

ahh now I got it I was thinking of horizonal meant the blade was horizontal.

hope your guy patened the idea. its really slick.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
ahh now I got it I was thinking of horizonal meant the blade was horizontal.

hope your guy patened the idea. its really slick.

Oh he sure did. He's a very smart cookie and actually holds other patents. I was hoping that some of his smarts would "transpire" to me via our email but thus far I'm still just plain Allen instead of Brainiac Allen :)

Noel102284

Also, just got home. Make sure you do not leave in your tank. I left mine 24hrs. and there was slight rusting on the blade, i should have known but I am letting you all know. Nothing happened to the tank but im sure it would be a concern after a few days.I took it out and was able to wipe it down right away and it came off totally. Still super happy. Got the "flip" down.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Noel I relayed your concern to the inventor and they're looking into it. Per their specs it should never EVER rust but they will check into it asap!

Here's the review one of my local reefing friends just made about it on our local forum:

My first impressions & review of The Flipper algae cleaner.
I ordered the flipper and recieved it very quickly. First impression was that I really did not know what to expect. I thought it was strange since the outer part is actually smaller than the internal half, but this turns out to be a really great feature.
I rinsed the internal section and quickly put it into the tank. My tank really didnt have much algae on the glass but cleaned anyway. I was able to clean the glass that is next to a particular single rock that I have never cleaned before because I placed the rock too close to the glass, it is perfect now.
OK, the biggest thing that I am impressed with is I used the metal blade side and due to the outside of the cleaner being smaller than the inside I was able to clean deep into the corners and the area above the plastic trim of the tank. I couldnt believe the amount of algae being cleaned away in areas that my old cleaner couldnt reach. It literally looked like there were pieces of super green nori being scraped away.

So quick recap, I love the thickness of the cleaner, the blade cuts through thick algae quickly, the magnets are quite strong, the outside part being smaller than the inside is a great idea for cleaning areas that you just couldnt before, and the internal pad is a good polisher. The only thing I would change is that the internal pad is a bit soft. I realize that this is planned so that the cleaner can be used on acrylic or glass and with the blade it really doesnt matter.
This is the best mag cleaner that I've had!

Thanks,
Jim

ChrisY

Bravo.

Hey Al, let your friend know that I broke out my new flipper today and wow, it works very well. I still havent mastered the art of flipping but it cleans better than my mag float for sure. coraline spots just came right off on the blade side and the other side I didnt have to go back and forth nearly as much as I used to to get the micro algae off.