There's a new "tank" Sheriff in town - FLIPPER

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I had some time yesterday evening and was able to tinker with the "Flipper" for a few minutes. Some more observations:

• a) The outside section is considerably thinner/shorter (height from glass surface to top of handle) than the other version making it potentially able to get into new and tighter places than was previously possible
  • b) The magnets are considerably stronger than the other version
  • c) The inside scrubber section is pretty much the same size as the other version which is great. It's a good size to get in between most rock and the glass. I doubt you'll find anything as thin or thinner yet as functional.
  • d) the inner section (at least if memory serves me well) is slightly more "Buoyant" than the other brand meaning it sinks slower making the "Flip" easier to accomplish
  • e) The "Surface Area" of the internal section is pretty much the same as the other version allowing a lot of glass to be cleaned with each pass of the scrubber
  • f) The inner "scrubbing surface" (not blade/scraper) seems to be better and more "aggressive" than on the other version
  • g) I was able to scrub/scrape both sides and the front glass of my tank completely (except where the Vortech is and the magnetic frag racks are attached to the glass) in about 3-4 minutes
  • h) due to the stronger magnets the transition from front to side (and back again) glass is easier and much more "solid" feeling

Side notes:
  1. I'm doing this testing on my RSM130D (34g) tank
  2. I don't have any signs of hard coralline or any other glass "items" that need hard/heavy scrubbing
  3. Per the included instructions I performed the "Flip" in low flow area where-by making it a 100% success rate

I'll use this some more over the weekend and give more feedback. I'll also have some feedback on some larger tanks to report back after the weekend.

landshark

I had some time yesterday evening and was able to tinker with the "Flipper" for a few minutes. Some more observations:
  • a) The outside section is considerably thinner/shorter (height from glass surface to top of handle) than the other version making it potentially able to get into new and tighter places than was previously possible
  • b) The magnets are considerably stronger than the other version
  • c) The inside scrubber section is pretty much the same size as the other version which is great. It's a good size to get in between most rock and the glass. I doubt you'll find anything as thin or thinner yet as functional.
  • d) the inner section (at least if memory serves me well) is slightly more "Buoyant" than the other brand meaning it sinks slower making the "Flip" easier to accomplish
  • e) The "Surface Area" of the internal section is pretty much the same as the other version allowing a lot of glass to be cleaned with each pass of the scrubber
  • f) The inner "scrubbing surface" (not blade/scraper) seems to be better and more "aggressive" than on the other version
  • g) I was able to scrub/scrape both sides and the front glass of my tank completely (except where the Vortech is and the magnetic frag racks are attached to the glass) in about 3-4 minutes
  • h) due to the stronger magnets the transition from front to side (and back again) glass is easier and much more "solid" feeling

Side notes:
  1. I'm doing this testing on my RSM130D (34g) tank
  2. I don't have any signs of hard coralline or any other glass "items" that need hard/heavy scrubbing
  3. Per the included instructions I performed the "Flip" in low flow area where-by making it a 100% success rate
I'll use this some more over the weekend and give more feedback. I'll also have some feedback on some larger tanks to report back after the weekend.

Nice review BigAl, I think i need one

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Outside Unit
4" x 2" x 1/2"

Inside Unit
4 1/8" x 2 1/2" x 1/2" (tip to blade 5")

Blade 2 7/16"w

These are just "approximations" on the dimensions.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Brandon when they are released they'll initially run about $20 available through the website only. Later on those details might change but at least for now that's the game plan from this company.

Uslanja

We tried to place an order for one of them but the website doesn't allow for that option just yet. (Now I'm a tattered nervous wreck over possibly missing out on one of those bad boys and I've chewed all of my fingernails down!! If I was only flexible enough to get too a toe nail!! Oh dear!!)

dburkart

Al, sounds like a great product. I will order two when available. Any ideas on the easiset way to clean the rear wall in a Red Sea ?

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
We tried to place an order for one of them but the website doesn't allow for that option just yet. (Now I'm a tattered nervous wreck over possibly missing out on one of those bad boys and I've chewed all of my fingernails down!! If I was only flexible enough to get too a toe nail!! Oh dear!!)
:LOL: Stretch some... you'll get flexible enough in time :) LOL

No their not taking orders just yet. As of earlier this week they were still on track for 1/20/2012 roll-out but this is entirely dependent on product in hand. The moment I hear they're taking orders I'll let yall know right here :)

Al, sounds like a great product. I will order two when available. Any ideas on the easiset way to clean the rear wall in a Red Sea ?
I don't ever clean the back wall of my RSM so I'm of no help what so ever there.

I took some time last night and compared the original Mag-Flip to the new "Flipper" and I can assure you the magnet is a LOT stronger on the Flipper. I don't mean just some.. a LOT stronger!

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Here's what a local reefer had to say just now about this new "Flipper"

I will say that the "mag-fip" is a POS compared to this FLIPPER. The plastic blades wear out in about 5 minutes of tough scraping.

The Flippers metal blade looks like it will last a long time, I am guessing (I will measure and get back to you) that the blade thickness is about 15mils or so which should be quite durable and long lasting.

So far, this thing is awesome! Does a nice job on the light and heavy algae build up. Wish I would not have wasted 50 bucks on the mag-flip a couple years ago. Magnet on this Flipper is more than sufficient for my 1/2" glass on my 90 as well.

Noel102284

Just placed my order for 1 Flipper and 1 replacement blade. Hope it works as good as video. Dying to have a good scraper so I can get my glass spotless all the way down to the sand without having to stick half my body in the tank.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Outstanding Noel! I didn't realize they were "Open for business" but to day is the 21st LOL!

Let us know what you think.

PIMPALA

Sounds like TONS of positives to this thing.

As pretty much any product, there just has to be some type of negative. Anyone know of any yet? (I'm likely to order one this week anyway, its only $20! I spend more on lunch every day. lol)

ChrisY

Will let you know when I get it, but now that my tank is growing coraline on the glass vs just the back side and plastics, I might need it.

PIMPALA

mine either. i just get stuff on the glass every week, and coraline spots on the glass get attacked pretty quickly, but the big bowfront is kinda hard to clean sometimes with a regular mag float.

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
Sounds like TONS of positives to this thing.

As pretty much any product, there just has to be some type of negative. Anyone know of any yet? (I'm likely to order one this week anyway, its only $20! I spend more on lunch every day. lol)

U eat well!

Matt leaves out punctuation.

ChrisY

fast food = bad in all cases. :)

beer on the other hand is liquid bread, just ask the monks in Belgium who consume it exclusively during the fast of Lent. :)