The one thing you wish you had known...

Muze813

Hello everyone. I just joined reef sanctuary, and this is my first post. Have been reading a lot of your blogs on here and admiring everyone's photos! I have been an avid freshwater hobbyist for about 20 years, but I am now preparing to set up my very first mini reef tank! I have a Solana 34 gallon, and I just acquired a 250w 20" Current Sunpod with LEDs. I haven't even put water in the tank yet though.

So my question for all of you people on this site with absolutely gorgeous reef tanks:

What is the singularly most important thing you wish someone had told you when you were setting up your first reef? Any and all replies will be appreciated. Thank you!

Excited to join Reef Sanctuary,
Christina

livebait

That'd I need a BA in chemistry, an Associates in Lighting and a PHD in marine biology.
No seriously..that the researching is never ending and the cost.

Briang

I wished that someone would have told me that I'm not the kind of person that would be happy with a 36 gal. tank. And then, when I decided to upgrade, I wish someone would have told me that it would be impossible to clean the front of a 55 gal tank with 60 lbs of rock and growing corals when it has only 12 inches from front to back.Yep, I just wish someone would have told me to start out with my 75 gal. I'd have saved a ton of money :smirk:
Late2009Pics-005.jpg

r2d2

Do not belive in LFS, very few has good advices. Better get a good starting book and join RS to solve ALL your questions and problems.

caitrina

Although I am tankless now I wish someone had told me that as my signature states... a reef tank is like a potato chip, you can't have just one! That is one of many things...it is very addicting, don't start small, the cost, the fun, the thrill, and the excitement you have while others look at you and go ...huh? Oh there are soooo many many things, but like all things would we believe ..nah, gotta see for yourself...I would not have missed any of it for the world...what a life, what a hobby, what fun!

I am a rare visitor now, but welcome to RS , you will find many friendly people here and lots of help and encouragement to buy more tanks....lol

Last edited:

caitrina

oh yeah, make sure you read reefkeeping dangers! IT is a sticky here on the site and loaded with lots of good info of do's and don'ts...I just gave it a bump to bring it to the front so you could find it, but if it disappears by the time you look for it, just put it in the search box or ask someone...like Al...lstorc, or HMA.....btw, check out HMA's tanks..