the "dream tank" idea

little clown

Oh dear, i'v finally decided to give the 'dream tank' a go-
thinking about an all glass 200+ gallon tank with large sump (and built in refugium). Filtration will be the berlin method (deep sand bed and LR), any suggestions on were to get the tank (possibly custom made) over the net, as I live in the UK.
Other comments or suggestions about the berlin method would also be helpfull, thanks in advance!:rollingey

little clown

A mixture of soft and stony corals, 1 or 2 amemones, and a few peaceful reef fish. (clowns, tangs, mandarine, etc..)
the usual algae and detritus clean up crew (turbos, red legged hermits..)

the trouble is that the LFS is very expensive. I might have a look around the country for a better place.

Are there any large angles that are beautiful and reef safe?

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
Yes there are some Large Angels that are completely reefsafe from the Genus Genicanthus variety but they can be very pricey ! They are Planktivorous feeders and will not bother inverts. The Genicanthus personatus and Genicanthus semifasciatus look spectacular.

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-02/hcs3/index.php

What type of lighting are you planning to use ? Anemones in particular the hosting variety can be very demanding and require intense lighting.

little clown

very nice link.
I'v been looking at the 3 Series Pendants from arcadia, Anyone have any other good pendant type lighting?

Witfull

sorry Robert...i just dont consider them to be large angels. but i love the genus. i like G. watanabi

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
Witfull said:
sorry Robert...i just dont consider them to be large angels. but i love the genus. i like G. watanabi

:LOL: Yeah your right Dave although the Genicanthus takeuchii can reach 14" in lenght.

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
little clown said:
very nice link.
I'v been looking at the 3 Series Pendants from arcadia, Anyone have any other good pendant type lighting?

The Arcadia will work very well and so will the Giesemann Pendant, don't know if the price is similar or not since Arcadia is more common in Europe.
What will be the dimensions of the tank ? Will this tank be ReefReady ?

superman

Be prepared to do a lot of research before getting the mandarin, they are pretty hard to keep happy and alive even in large systems, though your refugium will be a great start! Hope things go well!

big t

There is a very good LFS in Birmingham that I used to drive 3 hours to go see when I used to live out there. I don't remember the name of the place, but it is the one to check out. It should be in the phone book

little clown

Be prepared to do a lot of research before getting the mandarin, they are pretty hard to keep happy and alive even in large systems, though your refugium will be a great start! Hope things go well!

Fortunately, I already have the mandarin in the 46g tank and it's eating frozen foods and looking nice and fat (6-7 months)
What are people's experiences on fish (false clown) jumping out of the tank. Unfortunately I lost one last week to this. I don't think it was being chased or anything like that.

little clown

2 false clowns (mated pair)
a yellow tang
green mandarin
4 green/blue chromis
cleaner shrimp
fish shrimp
usual clean up crew

(would people say that is maxed out, or is there still room for a small one)

Is is usual for the fire shrimp to bother my BTA which moved into its cave, he seems to be nipping at it making it retract for a while, but the anemone seems to be doing OK...so far.

Craig Manoukian

I would have to say that yes you are overstocked. Shrimp will steal food from anemones and this may be the case in your situation.