The Bluespot Club

bluespotjawfish

I will leave one of my tonga branch rocks here for her since that is where she decided to put her den -- it is a good place. She keeps stealing live crabs. It's a hoot to watch. There are a bunch of empty shells behind the crate that I can't get to. I wish she would look for them because they would be easy for her to grab.

btime

How do I join the Bluespot club? I just got my Bluespot today :whstlr: I will post pic's as soon as he give's me a chance, right now he is hiding in the middle of my reef.

jcgardner

I have a question in regards to the type of substrate that is needed. I have a fine oolite sand in my aquarium that is about 4" thick with eggcrate underneath. Is this sand to fine to support a blue spot and what about the eggcrate? This has probably been answered in this post before but I didn't want to read through all 302 pages to and find it. The tank is a 45g tall and has a firefish, false perc, and clown gobby along with cuc of snails, pepermint shrimp and two emerald crabs.

Anselth

Lost Hadrian. :(

You can check my 110 chronicle for the full story. I found myself forced to move him to the 70 in hopes of keeping him alive, and he jumped while I was on vacation.

lcstorc

I'm so sorry to hear.
As far as the substrate question, I have the best luck with a mix. I started with a fine aragonite sand and have given them everything from crushed coral to large shells to build with. The CC seems to give their burrows a bit of stability but they have used absolutely everything I give them to build with no matter the size. In the wild they live in sandy areas so I would think you are fine as long as you give them the building material they need.
I also have eggcrate under the substrate and as far as I know it has never caused them a problem.

lcstorc

I wish I knew. There have been theories of the males having larger mouths but I don't think anybody really knows.
It's even more difficult to get a pair since 2 males will fight horribly. I tried to get a pair and I am pretty sure I have either a pair that doesn't care or two females. I have thought of adding a third but don't want to upset the balance.

jcgardner

Thanks Lynn for the answer on the substrate question. I am very interested in getting one of these guys and feel better about it now. I will just need to get more rubble for them to build with.

bluespotjawfish

BJ and the Misses arrived safely in Texas. I was so worried about them after I killed my Anthias earlier in the day. My picassos made it too. Those are the only fish I brought because I was so nervous about getting them here safely.

The Misses is already burrowing under my red brain. BJ is who knows where. He made a splashing statement by jumping out immediately after I put him in the tank, but hopefully he is ok. Both looked very healthy and calm when they arrived.

The tank is officially moved. My total shipment included 4 boxes totaling 160 lbs (not counting the rock we took with us in the car separately) and we used every one of our 250 bags. I may lose one of my favorite SPS corals, but other than that everything looks very good.

BarbMazz

Glad to hear the move went somewhat smoothly. Sorry you lost your anthias :( though.

How is everyone doing now? Have you seen Mr BJ?

Frankie

RS STAFF
I have been thinking of adding a BSJF and joining the club again. I know all of you will frown on my tank being open but I have been having good success with no fish jumping including a very skidish fire fish. Any thoughts? who sells the best quality? I am more interested in quality then cost.

BarbMazz

I have a new jawfish, but it's not a blue spot... it's a black cap jawfish, and he looks just like a muppet.

It's a bigger, sturdier fish, but has the same wonderful personality. Just as curious and silly. He zoomed to the back of the tank the first day, but I could see him through the arch in the rocks. He could see me, too, and would crane his neck to do so if I'd move out of his line of sight. I had a feeling he'd be out front this morning, and he was. He built a nice burrow in the right front corner of the tank. I gave him a bunch of new rubble and he builds in the traditional jawfish manner...always keeping an eye all around of what's going on elsewhere in the tank, and on me, too. He seemed to like looking at the dogs, and would bob up and down when they came near.

Here are some pictures of Beeker:

in the bucket

DSC_8839.jpg

"whut?!"

DSC_8864.jpg

"huh? WHUT!?"

DSC_8913.jpg

Doing the familiar dive during burrow construction

DSC_8912.jpg

Ginormous mouth!

DSC_8916.jpg

DSC_8917.jpg

'Tis true he is not a blue spot jawfish, but he adds the same something to my tank that's been missing since Bam Bam died. I would say this is a good alternative for someone who doesn't want to spend the amounts necessary to get a blue spot... he was $25. And he does have a TON of charisma!

Can Beeker be an Honorary Blue Spot Jawfish?