The Bluespot Club

chewdoggie

Well, I've got a chiller...currently set at 77 degrees...is that ideal or should I drop it one or two degrees down?

Although I don't know how he would get through the screening material I added to the overflow box, your comment got me thinking and I'll just wrap the overflow pipe in the box as well. How I would ever get him out of the overflow if he did get in there is disturbing to think about though...lol. But thanks...

BTW, my brother was saying that the livestock over the last few weeks that is coming into many of the LFS here in LA seems to be extremely fragile...his shop has actually stopped buying for the last two weeks because the product at the wholesalers looked so poor. Not sure if that is a wholesaler issue or more global...but thought I'd mention it. My BSJ seems to be ok at the shop although probably miserable and stressed with no burrow.

I just finished working on the temporary home that I will put in the tank prior to dropping him in (got the idea from Stoney at nano-reef)...hoping he takes to it until he builds his own. Pics to follow once we are all acclimated and relaxed. I already know I am going to be up tonight peering in that tank most of the night...lol. What fun.

lcstorc

I assume he has been eating for the 6 days at the lfs. If so you have cleared the first hurdle. All I can say about the jumping is to cover every single hole no matter how small. They have been known to jump through eggcrate. Gaps around plumbing etc must be covered in some way. They are sneaky little critters.
Be sure to give them lots of rubble and shells of varrying sizes. Sunshine goes through 1-2 handfulls a day when I add them on the weekend and she moves things much larger than she is. Frag plugs and turbo shells are among the list.
Good luck.
Be sure to post pics here when you get your new baby.

GSELLERS

Has been struck by the ban stick
mine just stole my pearlberry frag with plug from the rocks....:( oh well next time ill putty it down

lcstorc

Sounds like Sunshine. She will move anything that is not tied down. I have to keep pulling LR out of my fuge and smash it for her. I guess it is time to go to the beach again and get more shells. Good thing I live in FL. I wash them well with vinegar water and then boil them until dry twice to make sure I kill any nasties. It's kind of fun to collect shells for their colors and not because they are unbroken. Sunshine doesn't care.

chewdoggie

Mmmm, more good info...guess I am not quite done if frag plugs are fair game...lol.

This is my little temp home for him tonight...as I am sure he will build his own once settled. Just a few pieces of 1" pvc pipe and then topped with a barnacle and some reef rubble. I'll bury this is the sand and then try to release him above it. Just wanted to make it a bit easier on him...we'll see...

And yes, he's eating...just nothing in the tank for him to chill inside so I am sure that he's not happy and wondering why I haven't picked him up yet...lol.

Attachments

• LB Aqua 012sm.jpg
    LB Aqua 012sm.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 38

Basser1

Nervoustime...... I'm very sorry to hear about your loss. I've had some scary moments with Digger.

chewdoggie....... :welcomera
Look forward to seeing pics of your BSJF!

bluespotjawfish

Nervoustime, that is terrible news! Sorry for your loss.

chewdoggie - congrats on your new blue, great idea for the hole. It will be interesting to watch how it gets used. Invite Stoney to come on over to the Bluespot club!

gsellers - did you take any pics of your new cover?

GSELLERS

camera is messed up....but i have another update...he's back to the back. He covered up his other holes and opened up 2 behind the rocks where visibility is <20% :(

GSELLERS

i have nothing else to do but stare at my colorful sticks :)
i can hear him back there slamming rocks around...i put like 2 handfulls of rubble back there and there is none to be found....i hope he's building a worship table and sacrificing the mantis shrimp :)

chewdoggie

Well, she's in there...still trying to construct her burrow. I brought home two orange firefish also last night. So guess what? They took to the jawfish's pre-fab home I had built...darn it.

The BSJ picked the right side of the tank to set up shop...which I had hoped she would, just not where she did - in a major traffic area that Doc (my naso tang) uses to get behind the reef...plus Mr. Ugli (the lawnmower blenny) lives right above her. But I am sure she will relocate once she gets more comfortable in the tank and less comfortable in this one little section.

Bummer the firefish took up immediate residence in the pre-fab though. These BSJs are certainly darty little fellows. She nearly tried to jump out of the bag while I was acclimating...and no, I didn't QT.

Anyway, I am exhausted having been up until dawn watching over her and watching at least 3-4 of her burrow walls collapse forcing her to star over. She looks like she got the hang of it this morning though and is building a pretty big area...just under and around a rock. I've got to get going to care for my grandfather...but here is the one picture I got before the camera batteries died on me.

Attachments

• Blue Spot Jaw.jpg
    Blue Spot Jaw.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 31

GSELLERS

ok well bad news and bad news....tested nitrates today with my lamotte test kit and pegged the kit....That little bugger gave me a nitrate spike from burrowing the last 3 days....

the other bad news is that he's still behind the rocks, seems to very content. I'll just pretend he's in a cool spot so he'll move. I hope he dont wreak havoc in the sandbed anymore

good news he's eating

lcstorc

Mine moves almost daily. She has a little kingdom on the left side of the tank now. She has moved the sand into hills and dug 2 burrows in the sand and 2 under the rocks. I can't add rubble fast enough for her.

Wolfgang8810

What kind of substrate is god fo these guys? crushed coral? I was in tampa and saw a store that had 7 of them and only wantd 60 each. they were healthy and eating too. ~4 inches. Just wondering if i should pull the trigger or not. I have a 5 inch crushed coral sandbed but im sure I could make one of those pipe tunnels too.