The Black Blob!!!!

Techno-Vicki

Found this guy in my prop tank about a week ago. Thought he was a mushroom attached to the bottom of the tank. It was late, I tried to detach it to put it back with my other mushrooms, thinking, "I didn't know I have black mushrooms?" The next day I went into look for it and it wasn't there. I thought I just dreamed it.

Yesterday, there he was as I was working in the tank lifting corals. Jack and I got a couple of good shots. I think he is a Dendrodoris Fumata or a nigra, what do you think?
The Sea Slug Forum - Dendrodoris nigra

Attachments

• black-blob-5.jpg
    black-blob-5.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 474
  • black-nudi2.jpg
    black-nudi2.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 407
  • black-nudi-4.jpg
    black-nudi-4.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 396

Frankie

RS STAFF
Never saw one before that was black like that. Pretty cool! Is it reef safe? The link didn't say if it is or not.

Techno-Vicki

They eat sponges, but they do not know what kind. Nothing seems to be having difficulties in the tank. He might be a bit hungry though. I will put some sponge in there and see if he eats it when I get home tomorrow.

hma

Found this guy in my prop tank about a week ago. Thought he was a mushroom attached to the bottom of the tank. It was late, I tried to detach it to put it back with my other mushrooms, thinking, "I didn't know I have black mushrooms?" The next day I went into look for it and it wasn't there. I thought I just dreamed it.

Yesterday, there he was as I was working in the tank lifting corals. Jack and I got a couple of good shots. I think he is a Dendrodoris Fumata or a nigra, what do you think?
The Sea Slug Forum - Dendrodoris nigra

Yepp ...agree, looks like a Dendrodoris nigra. A friend of mine had this in his aquarium for a few months. They eat algae and sponges.

flricordia

I had heard they will eat leathers, but that could be wrong info. The owner of LRS was showeing me one he was pulling out. There was one just like that (grew super fast) in a ladies 75 I maintained before Hurricane Ivan and she had a really large leather that was slowly withering no matter what we did so my guess was, after hearing this from the LRS owner, that the nudi had been eating on it after lights out.

lcstorc

Ok Vicki this is really scary. Guess what I found in my tank last week.
I did the same thing you did and thought it was a shroom but couldn't figure out where it came from. Frank and I sat there debating if it was alive or not until we saw it slowly move from one rock to another.
I haven't seen it since but we did get some pics that night.
Nice to know what he eats. I have to keep a close eye on my sponges now. I really wonder how long he has been in there. He is quite large almost the size of a silver dollar.

Attachments

• 2007-10-14 014.jpg
    2007-10-14 014.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 391

Techno-Vicki

Lynn, that is amazing that we found the same one. Wow! Since mine is in the prop tank, I can find him easily. He stays under rocks except at night. That is when I saw him on the bottom of the tank instead of the underside of a rock frag. He is really quite cool looking.

GeeWizzItsMe

Cool! It is amazing that your shrooms on that rock are still open when out of water! PS if anyone actually does find BLACK mushrooms, PM ME! lol

lcstorc

I have several sponges in my tank. Two large pieces and various pineapple sponges etc. He doesn't seem to be eating them and he was on the opposite side of the tank though obviously they are mobile.
Guess I'll just wait and see. He has to have been there a while since I haven't really added anything for some time.

Techno-Vicki

My black blob had a baby!!! Jack and I found the little guy today while working with the corals. I went looking for mom and then I found her too. They do nothing but eat algae.:angel1:

Attachments

• baby_nudi.jpg
    baby_nudi.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 103

prow

i have a had a few of those. i like them but they are short lived, still cool to have while they are there.

Vicki Vicki, :flaming: what the heck??? why, why, why :verymad: OOO WHY do i not see any gloves on your hands~~shame shame shame~~~~Jack i think you need to show here those pics again:D