The 10g Upgrade.... Need advice.....

TomV

Reefing geniuses!!! I need your advice about what to do.

I am definitely going to be upgrading my 10g Nano to a bigger tank (20g or so).

Here are the ways I can go and the costs involved.

My budget for the project is $250 - $300.

Here are the 2 options I am weighing.

- First, the simple option: I can drive to the nearest LFS that sells them and get a 14g Aquapod for $200. The only thing I would really need to buy is a Skimmer ($100+ extra for the one that fits in the filter). So, with the skimmer, that goes over budget somewhat. I could always go skimmer-less... :scram:

- Second, the more complex option:
- 20g AGA Tank: $40
- New 96w quad bulb for my Corallife Fixture: $43 Shipped
- 10-12 Gallons of R/O water (I have IO Salt for it on-hand) - $7 or $9
- Hang-on Refugium from Aquatraders w/skimmer inside: $75 shipped (comes with a powerhead -- Or I can pick up a small Maxi-jet - $15 online
Looks like this:
Refugium.gif

TOTAL Cost of 20g Option: ~$182

Chemi-Pure, Carbon, etc. will be with either and will run me online prices (I figure about $30 or so to get what I need that way)

I could always buy an Aqua-clear Power Filter, make my OWN Refugium out of it, and keep running my Seaclone 100 -- instead of buying the hang on Fuge. I just like how the skimmer and the fuge are all in one thing.

I already have heaters, so, I'm set with that.

What do you all think? Which would be the best way to go -- and why?

burning2nd

my suggestion is to stay where you at... and save that money...

i know you want a biggger tank... but untill its completly packed full or crash's your not done...

more water means more rock.. you forgot to add that in, also heatin. more movement...

its almost looking like your talking of makeing a old tank in to a new tank...

my girlfriend has a 5.5 gal nano that she wants to upgrade (already) im trying to convince her to stay there...

TomV

Why go over budget for just 4 more gallons?

Well, the 14 Gallon Aquapod puts me over budget .

And the 20 gallon option leaves me ~$70 to spare.

So, in effect, I can stay under budget by a good margin and double the gallons instead of going over the budget with the Aquapod for just 4 more gallons. Is that what you were saying?

burning2nd

that 70$ will be gone as soon as you find out you need more rock..... and heat. and light and movement....

TomV

my suggestion is to stay where you at... and save that money...

i know you want a biggger tank... but untill its completly packed full or crash's your not done...

more water means more rock.. you forgot to add that in, also heatin. more movement...

its almost looking like your talking of makeing a old tank in to a new tank...

my girlfriend has a 5.5 gal nano that she wants to upgrade (already) im trying to convince her to stay there...

Well, I have a 55g and this 10g Nano. SO, I already have the bigger tank. I just wanted to go to 20g max on that. As far as Live Rock is concerned, I have some in the 10g already and could borrow a Rock or two from the 55g if need be since I have over 100+ pounds of it in there as it is. Or, in a month or two, I could order some more live rock.

When it comes to powerheads, I have an extra from when my 29g crashed in the power outage disaster of Feb 06. I also have one in my 10g right now that is the same size as the one I will resurrect from the disaster.

I'm also covered for heaters... WAY covered on that one!

sebastian

first i used Aquatraders few times.... first i was affraid of quality...but then...men:crowd: very good
second.... for upgrade .... u can buy something on Ebay...i saw few times 29/30 gal kit - tank, stand, light for $200 and sump u can make (about $40) ( as i did) from small fish tank, some pleksiglass, gorilla glue. ... be a handyman -:p reefyman or something..... good luck:time:

TomV

Reefyman, haha! Good one!

People have bought Aquaclear Power Filters and turned them into Hang on Refugiums. I might do that, but I'm not sure. I Do have the Seaclone and it works. Also, if I want to change it to a CPR or something later, I can. I have no idea how that skimmer in the Hang on Fuge performs.

So, that is the only part I am skeptical about. $75 seems like a lot of cash for something I can (and did at one time) make myself.

As far as tanks go, I really don't need a kit. And I will stick with the 20g. It fits right where I will put it.

Thank you, folks, for the advice so far! This is inspiring ideas in me ol' noggin!

saltwaterfarm

You can always use the new 20 for a sump/fuge later on. Like when you want to go even bigger than the 55, and have the room, etc.
As far as the CPR HOB fuge... check BrothaWolf's thread on his bio cube.
Have fun!!!

burning2nd

i have a aquaclear hob on out 5.5 for a refugem.... needs lights still... but we have a skimmer as well

TomV

hmmmmm...

would you mide posting a link for that HOB fuge?

Here's a link on how to make a fuge out of an Aqua-clear 500. The same thing can be done with a smaller Aqua-clear.

http://www.saltcreep.com/forums/printthread.php?t=675

A lot of people suggest using the bottom of the media basket siliconed to the out-flow of the filter to block the chaeto, etc, from ending up in your tank. Since that happened to me a few times, I AGREE wholeheartedly.

Here's another link, more complete on this one: http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=601201&highlight=how+to+DIY+an

Have fun!

BEELZEBOB

thanks but im looking for something with that mini skimmer.

i have an HOB skilter that has a "skimmer" in it. i drilled a hole in the top bought a badass airpump and a limewood airstone, added about 3/4 sand bed and a lil rubble, and it works 10X better. but that is still just ok. and the way it works i cant put a light over it.

i think i just want that thing.

TomV

Well, I use a seaclone 100 on mine for now. I have a Prizm, but I retired it because it kept changing how it skimmed and ended up OVERFLOWING when I wasn't around to deal with it. My Seaclone will do for now, but I am gonna get a BakPak soon. I'm using Seaclones for both tanks, so I will buy 2 and switch both out. They skim well when they work. But, they have to be watched over too much to make sure they're actually skimming. The only difference between them and the Prizm is that they don't overflow like the Prizm did.