Test Kits! Please Share!

QuentinB

Hey all! I've been thinking of doing this for a while now. It seems that many people, including myself, find themselves wondering what tests they need and what brands work well. So, I'd like to do a little experiment, with participation from you guys.

First:
What do you test for?

Second:
How often do you test?

Third:
What brand(s) are you using, and how do you like them?

Fourth:
What do you supplement, if anything?

If you'd like to remain anonymous for any reason, just PM me. I'm in no position to judge anyone myself, and if this goes right it could be very helpful.

Thanks everyone!

jpsika08

1st:
Ammonia - Nitrite - Nitrate - Alk - PH (Before I bought my controller) - Calcium - Magnesium - Salinity and Phosphates

2nd:
Once a week.

3rd:
API (Ammonia - Nitrite - Nitrate - PH and Calcium) Salifert (Alk - Magnesium) - Red Sea (Phosphates) - Salinity (Refractometer)

4th:
Kent (Magnesium - Alk and Calcium)

Reddog170

I test once a week, at every water change, for Salinity, pH, Ammonia, Nitrite, nitrate, calcium, alk, and mag. I use API kits, and a refractometer. Shaun

steved13

PREMIUM
Test for: ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, phosphate, alkalinity, salinity, calcium, magnesium, PH

Test, weekly about 12 hours after water change. Sometimes an added test, a few days later, if something was different than expected.

Test/measure with API for ammonia, nitrite, calcium, alkalinity. Lamotte for nitrate. Salifert for PH...soon to be digital aquatics probe. Elos for magnesium. Milwaukee instruments digital refractometer for salinity. Hanna checker for phosphate. These are the ones I like best so far, I've tried some others and had trouble with the colors so I tried something else and switched. Also, I'm to old to read the tiny lines on the standard refractometer, so I went to the digital...a little more $ but well worth it for me. I don't like any of the choices for PH so far, so I'm going for the probe, should be here day after tomorrow.

If something is slightly lower than I would like, I'll dose a little but for the most part nothing. I change 12 gallons every week, in a ~65 gallon system.

I hope that helps.

QuentinB

Thanks everyone! Keep it up! I'll try to post the results in some kinda graphical form that could help newbies like myself figure out what to get and use. Really appreciate all the contributions!

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
1:
Nitrate - Alk - pH (via RKL controller) - Calcium - Magnesium - Salinity (Refractometer), Temp. also via controller

2:
About once a week for chemical tests

3:
Salifert, with Hanna alk checker for alk (now that they upgraded it)

4:
SeaChem powders (diluted) - Ca, Alk/Buffer, Mg. - amount and frequency based on test results.

QuentinB

Ha, I'd like to thank Boomer. I'm not sure if he saw this or not, but he just saved me quite a bit of time.

I think it'd still be neat, if people still want to throw their two cents in, but here's the sticky that Boomer just wrote up:
http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/reef-chemistry-forum/65753-lab-aquarium-grade-test-kits.html

Thanks again everyone! So far, it all seems fairly consistant:

Tests: Temp., Salinity, pH, Ammonia, Nitrites, Nitrates, Calcium, Alk, Magnesium, and 50% check Phosphates(any specific reason why you would or wouldn't?)

Seems like everyone tests weekly, go figure...

The brands are pretty well covered in Boomer's sticky, but I've pretty much come to the fact that there are lots of options, and it's really a personal choice, but Salifert and API seem to be at the top of the list.

Dosing seems to be pretty limited to Calcium, Alk, and Magnesium, which I kind of expected.

Let me know if there's anything to add to this!

GlassMunky

I only test for Nitrate, Calcium, and Alk as far as chemical test. and only about once a week, before my WC. and test the salinity about every other day, and top off accordingly. All my test kits are Salifert, I had originally gotten RSM tests, but they were WAYYYYY off.
Up untill I got my own RO/DI and started mixing my own SW I had been buying pre-mixed from my LFS, and would have to dose about every other day to keep the Alk&CA up and once a week with strontium (tested at my LFS). but since i switched to making my own (using reef crystals) i find that i dont need to dose anymore. I was using B-Ionic 2 part (still have half a bottle if i need it) and the B-Ionic Strontium.

killboxpurple

Should one wear nitrile gloves while using test droppers and tubes? Some of the chemicals have corrosive symbols on them...:bouncebox

QuentinB

Should one wear nitrile gloves while using test droppers and tubes? Some of the chemicals have corrosive symbols on them...:bouncebox

Haha, I wouldn't ever wear them for testing, myself. You should always use the caps when shaking the tubes anyway, and a drop that you're gonna wash off in 5 minutes shouldn't matter anyway. I'm still young and dumb though, so my theory is not to worry until it bites me. The only thing that I worry about enough to put gloves on is palytoxin, but I think there's good enough reason in that.

Sorry. Long story short, almost everything is unbalanced enough to need to be labeled either caustic or corrosive, but unless it's REALLY out there, you probably won't notice a thing unless you're trying to let it sit there and burn. Like cement, get some spatter on you, wash it off when you're done, no harm done. Let it sit there all day, and you'll get burned(or eaten, I guess...). That wasn't short either...

If you would be much more comfortable with the safety of gloves on, nobody is going to stop you :D but in all reality, it's not necessary, especially when testing only on a weekly basis.

Just my two cents, watch somebody come in with some wicked story of a testing accident, lol...

Edit: Just realized you're new! Welcome to Reef Sanctuary! I promise not everyone here rambles like I do!

GlassMunky

I've definatly spilled some of the test chemicals on my hand before. if you just go rinse it off your fine...... i DO always have gloves on when i touch my paly or zoas though......