Temperature Question

Bigpapa

Hello All,

So I have my 180 set up and running and I am stuck at 79 deg. Not really that far off but I don't really understand why it is remaining at that temp. My house is at 72 and the only pumps I am running currently is the bubble blaster on my skimmer, a mag pump on the return, and a small Koralia for circulation until my larger powerheads come in. As for lighting I am running all LED's. I have tried leaving one of the glass lids open(not advisable since I have cats), leaving the canopy open, the heaters have all been checked and I am using 2 different temp probes to verify and no matter what I do it stays at 79...

Sooo, 1-what is keeping it approx 7 degrees warmer than its surroundings?
&
2-am I really going to need a chiller for this?? :-( I purpously set it up with LED's to also avoid the use of a chiller.

Thanks,

Rob

sk8rdn

Has been struck by the ban stick
How long has it been this much higher? This amount of water will take a couple days to cool down to ambient temperature.
Also, are you sure the heaters are calibrated correctly? Not just heating correctly or set to the right temp, but at what temp it thinks it currently is.
And no, I doubt a 79 degree tank is an issue (unless you have cold fish species) but watch it in the summers if it goes any higher.
Also, try a pc fan to blow across the waters surface to increase evaporation cooling (you will need to top off with fresh water more frequently though...)

...."Fish" Happens!....

Bigpapa

The tank has only been up for a week. I have had both heaters set to min temp and am using a new digital thermomter to check the actual temp. The glass lids would prohibit a fan butnow that I think about it, maybe in the sump area. The tank is a room divider so the stand is completely enclosed and when i open the doors its quite warm. If i were to use a fan on the water it could help but Iam guessing that without an outlet for that under tank heat to go Imay still have an issue to deal with...

sk8rdn

Bigpapa said:
The tank has only been up for a week. I have had both heaters set to min temp and am using a new digital thermomter to check the actual temp. The glass lids would prohibit a fan butnow that I think about it, maybe in the sump area. The tank is a room divider so the stand is completely enclosed and when i open the doors its quite warm. If i were to use a fan on the water it could help but Iam guessing that without an outlet for that under tank heat to go Imay still have an issue to deal with...

If an open top, or vented lid, isn't possible for a fan, go for in the sump. Hell, even a vent with a computer cooling fan to suck out air will make a difference.
Remember, all those pumps, ect. Have go breathe. Completely enclosed is gonna be bad long term.
And again, heaters are notoriously famous for malfunctioning. I'd unplug them just to be safe and see. When the fail, they tend to stick on. One may be doing this, but not be powerful enough to heat all the water very high.

...."Fish" Happens!....

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
sump area. The tank is a room divider so the stand is completely enclosed and when i open the doors its quite warm. If i were to use a fan on the water it could help but Iam guessing that without an outlet for that under tank heat to go Imay still have an issue to deal with...
you need 2 vent holes in the cabinet and 2 fans, 1 push 1 pull, computer type fans are good and quiet, glass tops are ok for a fish only but with corals they have to go, eggcrate or netting works well, you have to have gas exchange or the c02 will climb

sk8rdn

sk8rdn said:
If an open top, or vented lid, isn't possible for a fan, go for in the sump. Hell, even a vent with a computer cooling fan to suck out air will make a difference.
Remember, all those pumps, ect. Have go breathe. Completely enclosed is gonna be bad long term.
And again, heaters are notoriously famous for malfunctioning. I'd unplug them just to be safe and see. When the fail, they tend to stick on. One may be doing this, but not be powerful enough to heat all the water very high.

...."Fish" Happens!....

And what a thermometer says the temp is and what the heaters thermometer says the temp is may be two different things. That's why I stressed calibration in my first post.
If the heater thinks its 75 and its actually 80, its gonna operate thinking its 75, not knowing any different.

...."Fish" Happens!....

Bigpapa

I will pull both heaters and one of the end doors from the stand for a few days and see where it gets me. I will post back here on like sunday or monday of any change Thanks for the suggestions!

Rob

sk8rdn

sasquatch said:
you need 2 vent holes in the cabinet and 2 fans, 1 push 1 pull, computer type fans are good and quiet, glass tops are ok for a fish only but with corals they have to go, eggcrate or netting works well, you have to have gas exchange or the c02 will climb

I like the plasticy "window screen" stuff. Just not the metal kind. Metal + saltwater= bad.

...."Fish" Happens!....

Built347

My mantis tank is the only tank with a lid on my system.. it stays .5-.75 warmer.. I'm assuming from the magnifying glass effect... it is led's also...

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2

sk8rdn

Built347 said:
My mantis tank is the only tank with a lid on my system.. it stays .5-.75 warmer.. I'm assuming from the magnifying glass effect... it is led's also...

But all your tanks share a common sump. So any increase in temp is dissipated over the whole system. Here its not the same option. Stand alone, enclosed cabinet, lids. Heat has no where to go.

...."Fish" Happens!....

Built347

But all your tanks share a common sump. So any increase in temp is dissipated over the whole system. Here its not the same option. Stand alone, enclosed cabinet, lids. Heat has no where to go.

...."Fish" Happens!....

Yes sir... I was sayin even with the heat dispersed throughout my system heat builds up in the mantis tank... its probably much more noticeable when the whole system is covered/in the stand..

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
It's entirely possible that any of the pumps or powerheads you're running could be pushing the heat up or a combination of all the above each adding just a little bit of heat to the system.

I totally agree in the glass tops need to go. They:

• inhibit water to air gas exchange
    Have to be cleaned daily or they rob you of a significant amount of PAR
    are notorious for trapping heat in a "thermal blanket" between the glass and water surface
Look into the "Bird Netting" mesh lid that is documented in many DIY threads.

Test your system for 24hrs with NO heaters plugged in at all. If still at 79 slowly unplug one "powered" item a day and see if any single one is a major contributor or if it's the combination of all of them.

Bigpapa

Well after a 93 hour work week I finally have a chance to update... I added a fan underneath and opened up the hidden end of the stand to allow for heat escape. I also have one of the glass lids lifted up for the Co2 exchange. The temp has been between 75-77 degrees all week.

sk8rdn

Well after a 93 hour work week I finally have a chance to update... I added a fan underneath and opened up the hidden end of the stand to allow for heat escape. I also have one of the glass lids lifted up for the Co2 exchange. The temp has been between 75-77 degrees all week.

Good to hear!